SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ms_k1200rs

Advice needed on replacing HVAC units

Frank
6 years ago

Hello,

I am posting to request some advice and guidance on replacing my residential HVAC systems. They are Trane XL 1200 (12 SEER?)units and are 24 years old. The reason I am considering replacement is that each spring I find I am having to add more and more Freon in preparation for summer. I live in Mississippi and we have very hot and humid summers so cooling costs are significant compared to winter heating costs. I am currently using natural gas for my furnace and hot water heater.

I have a great HVAC contractor who sells American Standard and Mitsubishi brands. He has priced replacing both units (4 ton and 3 ton) heat and ac new systems.

There are 3 systems I am considering. I would greatly appreciate anyone helping me understand and evaluate value and performance between them. They are listed from lowest to highest priced.

1. American Standard 17 SEER 2 stage cooling with 80% 2 stage variable furnace - natural gas

2. American Standard 18 SEER variable speed cooling with 95% modulating variable speed furnace - natural gas. The price for both units is $3300.00 more than number 1

3. Mitsubishi 18 SEER inverter variable speed system. I understand that this is a heat pump and will not be using natural gas. These units are $500.00 more than number 2. The other difference is a 12 year warranty vs. 10 years on the American Standard.

My contractor has sat down with me to discuss the different systems and considerations with each. I have no doubt that he is has been honest and open in his advice. He actually leans more to the Mitsubishi systems, but said all are good systems and he stands behind them fully. I would really appreciate any and all opinions and or advice in helping me make a good purchase decision.

Thanks!

Frank

Comments (20)