SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Dryer sheets to deter cut ants ...

roselee z8b S.W. Texas
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

The thread about leaf cutter bees morphed into a discussion about cut ants where I mentioned that my friend Linda M has been tucking dryer sheets around the bottom of plants that are frequently laid bare by cut ants. She's had good results.

This is how she does it:

This is what she says:

"I'm telling you those dryer sheets are working like a charm. I have never ever ever had that knockout rose bloom since I got it because the cut ants strip it! It has the only flowers it's ever had this year. It's now covered in roses and buds.

"On the crepe myrtle I stapled 4 pieces together to make a long rope kind of thing and then staple it together and stuck some more pieces down where the branches forked. The cut ants have always, and I mean always, stripped these crepe myrtles continuously. Since I've done this with the crepe myrtles they have not touched any of them!

"I wondered if whatever is in those dryer sheets would harm the plants but apparently not, because the plants have been watered plus we've had three and a half inches of rain. There is no evidence of any damage at all.

"The H-E-B brand of dryer sheets are $0.99 which is cheap enough. I'll just stuff a fresh one in there every now and then around the different plants."

Linda M. is the person I mentioned that had moved her rocks from one house to another several times ... :-)

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor