SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlotte0124

Fridge door opening;pantry open or an 18" filler? (w/pics) Preference?

charlotte0124
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I am building a new kitchen (first time....so many things I have learned!) and it always seems to work on paper, but not necessarily perfectly functional standing in the space. :)

My dilemma is a usability one and I would love any opinions you have about which would be better functionality for you --- my strong preference is #1 and I plan for a beautiful pantry area as an extension of the kitchen, so no unsightly clutter. (I'm forward thinking to resale value, not my last home or I would just do whatever the sam heck I wanted :)

OPTION 1 (photo 1)

The fridge in the corner against the wall (right hand swing opening) which means for a full 115 degree swing opening (necessity for me), the pantry doors would need to be partially open.

PROS: 1) Allows more counter space to the right of the 48" range, and also centers it closer to the island prep sink and 2) It is further out of the way of the cook zone

CON: The pantry doors (which will eventually be multislide to the left, stacking inside the pantry) have to be partially open, in order to open the fridge door all the way

OPTION 2 (photo 2)

18" base cabinet to the right of the fridge for full swing opening with pantry doors closed (minimum clearance for full opening).

PRO: You don't have to have one of the pantry multislide doors open

CONS: 1) Destroys the working counter space to the right of the range, if the range is centered nearer the island sink, and 2) Shoves that range near the end of the island which feels awkwardly too close to the clean up sink.

Would #1 bother you? Would you care or notice? Any opinions or personal experience will be helpful! Thank you!!

(The 3rd image shows the entire open concept kitchen/dining space).

Comments (10)