SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

It's not spring for me---until I see my hostas coming up!

I overwinter my hosta pots in the garage, window well and buried in the ground. Oh yeah, and this year a new place on my front porch which we call the coffin! Here it is:

Excuse the mess. My husband is renovating a room in the basement and we have building materials sitting on our porch too!

Surprisingly, two days ago four hostas had begun growing in the window well! So I have removed them and put them out into my homemade greenhouse during the day. I tuck them away in the garage for the night. It's still too early. The days are cool (in their 30's) and the nights in the 20's.

The four hosta are: Ebb Tide, Undulata, Stained Glass and Great Expectations. Now I know that Ebb Tide and Undulata are early risers but what were Stained Glass and Gr, Ex. thinking!

So while I was having a look around I discovered this:

Do you see the large 1 inch snail in the center of the photo? It was hiding under dead grasses that I removed. Now just below that one there is a smaller snail which is alive and wandering about! So this is a reminder to begin slug pellets early because our hostas are waking up and so are the slugs and snails!

Comments (40)