SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girl_wonder

80s bathroom with "roman bath"--what would you do?

girl_wonder
6 years ago

Dear design geniuses of Houzz, can you help me with my master bath?

I have an old master bath from the 80s, complete with "roman bath" and step. I'm sure they were taking drugs when they "designed" this. Pics below. What would you do? I may move in 2-3 years or then again, maybe not. I don't see any middle ground of slightly fixing it up--seems like I need to gut everything or else just live with it. It does have a shower-head on each end (sexy!) so if I did remodel, I have existing plumbing on the toilet side of the shower.

(FWIW, I do own a more color appropriate shower curtain, but have grown sick of that too and am pretending that purple goes with peach and terra cotta tiles. Lol) I know it's weird that there is a 12" deep cabinet behind the door--but this 1940s cottage has no linen closet, so it provides storage. And yes, that a window (!) on the wall next to the vanity. Used to be an exterior window but now looks into my office (a room added by previous owners w/o permits, yee. But it's nice to have a home office, especially one with a view of my backyard). I keep meaning to put some kind of sheer window treatment to at least make it look better. (And retain the light).

If it matters, we remodeled the guest bath 10 years ago, to look more like a 1940s cottage. It's lovely, and I've been using that bathroom most of the time, Lol.

Comments (5)

• mindshift
    6 years ago

There is a lot I can't see from your photos. What is behind the left side of the shower tub? A closet or a room? I agree that the bathing space is awkward, but perhaps there was an important reason for it being designed this way. Taking measurements and drawing an accurate floor plan can help you see if there is room for expansion.

You called this the master bath so why aren't you using it? Is it the step? The step is not a safe idea; it's something to slip/trip on. I can understand hesitating to start such a remodel, but you need to decide whether it's worth doing for your quality of life. Talk to a tile professional about what removing the step would do to the rest of the tile work.

Even if you don't want to tackle redoing the shower tub, there are other, small upgrades you could do. The vanity Drawers are not properly supported anymore. This might be a handyman fix, or you could replace the existing vanity with a new one. The linen closet has no knobs on the sliding doors. Doesn't that make them difficult to open? There is no reason you can't add knobs. You could also get new standard doors for this cabinet that match your vanity door styling.

As to the window into your office. Buy some decorative window film to stick to this window. You should be able to find the basic FROSTED kind at home stores, as well as some department and specialty stores. Light will pass through, but the bath will have complete privacy.

girl_wonder thanked mindshift
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

honestly,,i think you know the answer. gut it. just make that shower into a nice large walk in,,,get a new vanity. keep the closet storage, just spruce it up w/a simple reface. if you like the flooring, keep it,,otherwise,,,replace.

the way to cut corners is to do a lot of the work yourself. demo will save you over 1K.

look for vanities on sale, or on craigslist. look for left over tile for you floor while you're on there. Do simple tile in the shower like a subway. .19 per tile? paint the room yourself. expect to spend about 2500-4K for someone to prep, waterproof and tile. but the rest you can manage yourself, barring any unforeseen consequences.

girl_wonder thanked Beth H. :
  • girl_wonder
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Mindshift, to the left of the shower is....more shower. It's the entire width of the room, with a shower head on each end. It's narrow, 27.5" wide, so we use the side you can see. The guest bathroom is much nicer. Thanks for all your other suggestions.

Beth, thanks for your comments. Wow, I'm not sure I can do all that myself but thanks for your vote of confidence and the idea to shop for stuff on Craigslist. (And estimate of what it might cost to hire out some of the work).

• apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Do you have some photos of the guest bathroom that you already remodelled and like?

girl_wonder thanked apple_pie_order
  • havingfun
    6 years ago

first i do not believe it is a roman bath, it is a two person shower. it does not even look deep enough to have a bath in. i think you could have that step removed if you like for not much. you can then put a step to the other half and use this half as a large storage closet.

girl_wonder thanked havingfun