SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stebedoni

Does anyone have stained Fiberglass front door?

Steve Doni
6 years ago

I need to replace my front door with two side lites and was just going to get a painted steel door, but the owner of the store saw me looking at their stained fiberglass display door and said he would sell it to me for 50% off as he wants to get rid of it and put a more modern model on display. It's a craftsman style door. It's a premium fiberglass door with three point multi lock and at 50% off would basically cost me just a bit more than the painted steel door.

My concern is that I'm south facing, though I'm in Quebec so a typical summer day would be around 70-80F. I would imagine the sun would take a toll on the door, from what I understood it would be advisable to brush on a coat of UV protection on the door every 2-3 years to keep it looking good.

Those of you with fiberglass doors with wood grain, stained to mimic wood, how much maintenance is required? How often do you refresh the UV coating/sealer? How much has the original finished degraded over what period of time for you?

I just don't want to take on something that's going to be super high maintenance, or require stripping and re-staining from scratch, compared to a painted steel door which seems like a get it and forget it kind of thing.

Thanks!

Comment

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner