Houzz Logo Print
jillybean103

Hanging 108" Curtains - 9 ft ceiling...Tips please

jillybean103
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE!!!

35.5"w windows - only 10" wall to the left and 10" wall to the right

• I currently have a too-large framed mirror mounted between the windows and the flat frame (which I'm not wild about) extends close to the windows (in other words I don't care if it gets covered by the curtain panels). A really heavy mirror and a big mounting project so I hate to ask DH to take it down.

50" w x 108" L panels (x4 panels) - have 3" rod pocket and also have back tabs. I don't think I'd like them sheered on the rod...

9" ceiling; transitional home decor; round table in there. Art on the left and right walls.

Currently only have 2" white wood blinds on them

1. Need 2 rods - assuming 55" each to extend the 10" on both sides of each window. Correct?

What thickness of rod? If I use rings, doesn't that just mean they'll puddle more? I'm indifferent on puddling..is there another consideration of hanging with the tabs vs. the rings?

2. I like decorative finials, but they'll just cut into the available 10" on the sides of the windows which will cut into the spread of the fabric on the outsides of the windows...

3. I like the 4 panels hanging like they do in the picture, but they are spread far more than the 10" on the side. My understanding is not to cover the window, but to have the panels frame it and extend beyond it...by doing that, I'm afraid the 10" max spread on the outside walls and a 9' length will look like 4 sticks hanging...not full and lush.

• Do I forgo the 4 vertical panel hanging design?
  • Should I consider covering some of the window and making the drapes look fuller?
  • Would a goblet hang be too traditional or cover too much window?
  • Is there another tip on hanging so that I max window showing and still have good fabric spread?
  • Should I consider a rod across each window (never one big long rod across the whole wall) but treat the left one with the panel pulled all the way across and hooked to the left .....and the right one with the panel all the way across and hooked to the right so the mirror isn't covered at all and it makes the two windows seem like they are treated as one? Will cut off a lot of window but I don't know that I care since there is a house wall (not a view) next to us.
  • I'd like some transitional drama :-)

Comments (6)