SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mgh_pa

Oh boy. It's open season on my plan.

mgh_pa
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Let me have it. I have thick skin.

Non architect designed. No plans to use one (I did try). However, will definitely consider any and all changes that are for the better.

Background:
Family of three (soon to be 4). Building on 150 acres (won't own it all initially, but plan to buy it all from my dad eventually). E to W exposure at 1,000 ft. in Northcentral PA. Great room/kitchen will be facing SE.

This will be a GC run build, but I'm able to choose some of my own subs (cabinetry, trim, HVAC). I will be finishing the entire guest "suite" on the first floor myself as well as doing to the stone veneer on the exterior as well as the fireplace and all landscaping.

Plan is for geothermal w/desuperheater, ICF foundation, 2x6 walls (NuWool and 2" foam sheathing on exterior).

Three car garage and size is non negotiable as I have a large truck, will have a plow truck and/or a tractor for driveway work along with the ATV and mower, plus our two vehicles. Space above the garage will be unfinished/unconditioned attic storage.

Ignore door sizes, they aren't correct. All 3-0s where applicable. Not sure why he drew in 2-6's and 2-8s. The 2-0 in the J&J bath is a sticking point we will address later in the post.

We've already decided to move the bath #3 into where the office is now, office moves to playroom, play room will now take place in the guest bedroom and we will clean it out when/if guests are here. Not a fan of that extra bump out as it only adds costs and makes plumbing more complex. This whole area could be converted to one floor living if the need arises (this would become the master suite).

My wife and I don't like the location of her closet since it's eating up the best views on the property. We originally had her closet where the bath was, but the draftsman (gasp) recommended this location for ease of plumbing. We're not fans still. Most likely going to rearrange this, but the layout of the bath (aside from the shower head location) is staying, so suggestions are welcomed there.

The part we REALLY don't like is with Bath #2 and the relationship with the two kids bedrooms. Too many crooks and jags, and a 2-0 opening into the toilet/tub area is way too small. This may need posted on the kitchen/bath forum, but it needs reworked. My wife found a semi-better solution, but it won't allow for the toilet/tub to be separated from the vanity. Open to suggestions.
Before too much bashing ensues (but feel free, it's ok, I promise), I will say we are pretty happy overall. Our big sticking points (and the only reason I'm posting this and closing my eyes) are with:

• Total Square Footage - Would like it smaller if possible. Around 3000-3100 would be great.
  • MBR/Bath situation - As discussed above...don't want our best views in my wife's closet
  • Kids Bath - That tight/broken up feeling has to go. Very poor flow.

Feel free to ask any questions you want. PM's are fine too if you really want to tear into me.

I'm linking to the full size images so you can see the details better. Houzz keeps resizing them a bit too much for my liking:

Comments (41)