SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lorien_ca

oh boy, do i need layout advice...

lorien_ca
16 years ago

what started out as a remodel of large portions of our forever home has turned into a complete level and rebuild (long story, but essentially it's much cheaper to start over - which is crazy - gotta love the bay area). while i'm getting to be very happy with the rest of the house the architect is designing for us, well, frankly the kitchen just isn't his forte. in the latest drawings, the kitchen/dining area has been reworked again to accommodate a staircase location issue. i look at this new version of the kitchen and i think "meh." and i'm definitely a 'kitchen is the heart of the home' kinda gal, so it's really becoming a sticking point for me.

we're now at the point where the walls aren't likely to change again, sooo, i really need some layout/design ideas/advice/help - anything you're willing to throw out, i'm willing to consider and appreciate!

here's the details:

we are a mid-thirties couple with a 2.5 year old and another on the way. we're both professionals, but i'm currently mostly a SAHM and likely will be at least thru elementary school. i'm the cook, he's the baker, sometimes the two do overlap. we semi-frequently entertain small groups of friends and family (6-8), and on those occasions we do have 2, sometimes 3 'cooks' in the kitchen helping out.

we are planning a 42" fridge, 36" range, advantium, dish drawers, prep sink, and at least three, preferably four spots at an island or penninsula. the rectangle in the middle of the work area is a skylight, so just ignore that. hopefully i've labeled everything else sufficiently?

{{gwi:1756152}}

{{gwi:1756153}}

i've read all of celticmoon's great advice on the kitchen forum's faq and have spent a lot of time here reading about zones. i think i'm ok there? prep would be the penninsula, clean up the sink wall, cooking/baking the stove wall. food storage would obviously be the fridge and pantry in the immediate hall. the only traffic consideration i can see would be the fridge to peninsula drop zone or traffic on the way to the garage.

if i stick with the current plans, here's what i'm most dissatisfied with currently:

- my first choice is an island, not peninsula, but i'm not sure how to make one with seating fit without moving the outside walls (we are at the set back on the stove wall and if i push out the sink wall any further we loose a mature blood orange tree i'd really like to keep). the architect says 'stick with a peninsula'.

- the fridge and oven/micro stack wall seems very cramped to me? we originally planned to go with a range, so really all i need is to find a better spot for the advantium to clean up that wall. have thought about moving just the advantium into the corner at counter height and leaving out the wall oven.

-my gut tells me the appliance garage should be between the sink and stove (mostly just for coffee pot access to water) which could also mirror the advantium if we set it into the corner on the other side of the range? thoughts?

- can i fit a prep sink at the end of the island? does this still leave me enough of a drop zone for the fridge/groceries?

thank you so much, and have at me :).

lori

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz