SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahren_osterbrink

19" soffit over kitchen counter tops?

ahreno
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

long story short, truss company messed up and i have to decide if i want a 19" soffit over on leg of my kitchen cabinets. i can cut the gable out and just go straight up the back wall (ok'd by engineer) or leave the soffit in. I'm currently nearing the end of framing and this section of the house is the one remaining section. To the left of the fridge is the main entrance corridor and the wall immediately on side of fridge is a 2x4 framed wall

I am not going to have upper cabinets (the cabinets on the far right will be a baking station, hard to model in ikea software.

What would YOU do if it were your kitchen?

Leaving Soffit in PROS:

• A lot less work for me
    Soffit allows Range hood to not be exposed all the way to 15" peak
    Allows lighting to be installed in soffit for counter top usage. Only other option is a floating shelf at the bottom of range hood with puck/strip lighting under neath and electronics hidden in floating shelf

Leaving Soffit in CONS

• does it look goofy? Thats about the only negative is if it looks ok or not. I'm an amateur so it's hard for me to tell.
  • Taking the soffit out would mean the wall to the left of fridge would have to either be half height and kind of wobbly or extend all the way to the ceiling.

Comments (2)