SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_69065761

Kitchen remodel: mixing counter tops? butcher block and quartz?

User
2 years ago

Hey everyone!

I have a doozy of a kitchen to renovate (see picture of yellow, red, turquoise) I will be trying to do most of it as DIY with my husband and eventually my dad who is a carpenter will help out when he comes to visit. Not really looking to change the layout a ton (unless someone sees a genius idea, please share).

Our style:

• farmhouse/boho/rustic kitchen (see last Two pictures, the white kitchen is our current country kitchen)

My plan:

• paint kitchen walls white
  • replace floors
  • paint mdf cabinets, probably white upper and a pale green/soft blue lower
  • Replace hardware
  • replace countertop to quartz/butcher block/mixed
  • replace backsplash with white tile, likely subway but open to suggestion
  • replace light fixtures
  • add banquet for breakfast nook (dad will be doing this part)
  • Add a window above stove?

My questions:

• what should we do for kitchen floor?
    The rest of the house is original hardwood but we are changing the layout and if we can’t patch the areas where walls have come down well, we will end up replacing the floors, so it may be new engineered/solid hardwood. It will be oak or pale oak colored regardless. I currently have hardwood in my kitchen and love it but this may get pricey.

• what do you think about quartz countertops in the L around sink and stove, but butcher block on the right side as a work station?

If quartz is too expensive we may tile over the laminate countertops with a very muted white square tile.

• window above the stove? We have enough counter space for a small microwave somewhere else. This is a south facing wall and we live in Canada where winters are long. I love light in a kitchen. The other two windows in the kitchen are east facing we will get some morning light.

Comment (1)