SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwowski

Traditional/Transitional Living Room Help

Michelle
6 years ago
I am in the process of redecorating a living room space, specifically this small sitting area near the fireplace. I feel completely lost. I really want to have that traditional/transitional feel, and also get that elegance factor but with comfort. I love the oversized chairs because I wanted something you could curl up into by the fire, but now I feel absolutely lost on everything else. we recently repainted the fireplace but I'm unsure if I'm happy with it. I'm not sure what to do with the mantle, the rug, the walls. We also still need to decide on drapes for this room. Any suggestions and help would be much appreciated.

Comments (37)

• maree85
    6 years ago

Lovely space - I was thinking along the same lines as mjlb about an ottoman. In fact, a velvet ottoman came to mind, but I don't think you have the room for an oversized one like in this room unless you are able to move the chairs back.

Cherry Hills · More Info

I'd use roman shades on the windows or one panel on each (far left and far right). I like the sconces but they're pretty traditional. You might think about updating them.

Michelle thanked maree85
  • Related Discussions

Help me update a traditional living room (Pic included)

Q

Comments (2)
    I should also mention that while I'd prefer not to replace the couch right away, it will be replaced within the next two years with the Barrymore Bel Air sofa in a light neutral (ivory). Here is a link that might be useful: Barrymore Bel Air Sofa
    ...See More

Traditional/Modern living room -- I need help mixing the two!

Q

Comments (19)
    Love the color and style of your new WE sofa. We have a mix of styles in our LR, and have used accessories, etc. to bridge certain gaps that have presented themselves. However, I would not use that height chair combo with your sofa. Also, painting and/or shortening the legs of the chairs, don't really seem to be great options either. My leather sofa in the LR has sort squared legs, but it came that way. I don't think I would alter a brand new sofa in order to make it work with CL chairs. You've just purchased an awesome sofa, would it be possible to wait until you come across chairs that would complement your sofa as opposed to trying to make do with the wrong height chairs? Not sure if you've already purchased these, but in the event you have, could they be purposed in a reading nook in the master BR, or somewhere else in your house? I know how it feels when you really want to make something work, but I think these chairs miss the mark with your new sofa. Scale is definitely an important factor when planning/decorating a room. IMHO, unfortunately, these chairs don't work from either a style or scale standpoint.
    ...See More

Transitional Living Room Help

Q

Comments (3)
    I like the wall color but would leave the fireplace as it is. As a first step I would choose a large rug that goes well with the wall color, and also possibly includes some of the accent colors you're interested in, and then go from there in terms of choosing your furniture. That way everything will be cohesive in terms of the color palette. I would choose both glass/metal and wood tables for the coffee table and lamp tables so that not everything is boringly uniform.
    ...See More

Upgrade traditional to transitional dining room

Q

Comments (16)
    I would strongly suggest approaching this a bit differently than your list. Why? Because unless you are planning to reup those chairs, I don't think that list will give you the more transitional space you want at all. That said, your dining set is lovely and well worth recovering. First. While the chairs are out being recovered, I'd prime all the walls, extend the curtain rod by about 6" on either side, and get some paint samples to compare. Combining a dining set like yours in a way that is elegant and transitional is actually pretty easy to do. Some things to employ are a more modern tablescape, a fair bit of negative space (both on walls and surfaces), and a chandelier that evokes a more contemporary vibe. Basically you need a planned approach that doesn't start with buying stuff or painting the walls gray....even if you eventually choose gray for the walls :-) edit to add...if you don't want to re-up the chairs, I still recommend starting with that primer coat. Then you could look for a shade that would work with the current upholstery. I
    ...See More
  • Diane
    6 years ago
    Lovely room. Imo you need a larger rug with the oversized chairs and a table or ottoman than could be used to place a beverage or book on. Then of course, draperies, lighting and accessories maybe a nice large plant. It would help to see the rest of the space.
    Michelle thanked Diane
  • Allison0704
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Lovely room. I would also do an ottoman (but round - already a lot of hard edges), a larger rug (current rug is pretty, but too small) and art over the FP (the mirror is too much like the windows and doesn't add anything to the space). The FP screen isn't interesting, so I would also replace or remove. Are you going to burn wood? Gas logs? Fire balls?

Michelle thanked Allison0704
  • Pugga70
    6 years ago

Your home is beautiful!!

I would move the chairs back a bit as they are a little too close to the fireplace.

Remove the screen as it is a bit 'dated' and takes up space. If you prefer having a screen, use one that is flush fitting and does not potrude like the one you have and that is more transitional - a fully black one would fit better in your space than gold trimmed.

The sconces are nice, but if you want a more transitional feel, you would have to change them out.

If your mantle is wide enough, a cluster of vases in colours picked up from the artwork to the right can be placed on it.

The colours in the artwork are very vibrant so if you replace the mirror, it will have to be with artwork that doesn't clash with what you have but that complements it.

Michelle thanked Pugga70
  • deegw
    6 years ago

I agree with Allison. You have good taste, you just need to tweak things a bit.

You followed the rug rule about setting your furniture on it but because the rest of the space looks bare, the rug area looks lonely. A bigger rug will incorporate more of the space and it won't look so chopped up.

The mirror works with the space but doesn't add any color or warmth. Some more color and texture above the fireplace will help warm things up.

Michelle thanked deegw
  • Nancy Ingram
    6 years ago
    So I would start by painting the ceiling, niche and fireplace wall. Sconces with longer tails in a Champagne finish. Artwork with white mat boards. A silver fireplace screen that fits the opening and adds some interest. A textured ottoman with feet. A white vase with curly branches in the niches. No window treatments. Turn your rug the other direction.
    Michelle thanked Nancy Ingram
  • jccrowley73
    6 years ago
    Very pretty start to your room. A couple of simple tweaks could take this to the next level. If you have room, I would pull the chairs & rug away from the fireplace further & angle them out slightly to open the width a bit. An ottoman in the middle with nailhead or tufting detail would add more texture. I would paint the little alcove to the left a darker color & add a plant & paint the wood mantel the same color to tie it in. Simple lightweight curtains pulled to each side will frame it out as well. I would keep any artwork more modern to balance the other elements that are more traditional.
    Michelle thanked jccrowley73
  • Michelle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you to each and everyone of you for the great feedback! In regards to a larger rug, would you recommend a rug that is large enough to have both chairs completely on it? Also, there was mention of different sconces, any recommendations? Nancy, I love the idea of painting the walls/niche/ceiling for a contrast. We currently have the 'cove' aspect of the ceiling painted 2 shades darker beige than the walls, and the ceiling is white..but it certainly doesn't give the contrast we were going for. Do you think painting the niche and the 'cove' darker would look good? Then leave the ceiling white and walls beige.

I think I was having difficulty with color scheme. The chairs are a very muted brown, the rug has taupes/beiges/browns, and then the fireplace has an interesting color (copper, gray, light brown). Any recommendations on color and material for a ottoman? I'm concerned of trying to match with so many shades of brown that it will start to look disorganized and too mismatched.

I will include more pictures of the room; we have a blue and beige theme going on in the other part of the room. We like that the two areas are separate from each other, so we aren't necessarily trying to coordinate both living spaces.

Thanks again!

• Michelle
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Here is the other space of the living room
  • deegw
    6 years ago

Your room is lovely. Will you post a photo of the fireplace area from behind the sectional? I'd like to see how the fireplace area relates to the sectional area.

• Michelle
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Here is a picture from behind the sectional. I put up the bronze art behind the couch recently, but I'm not too sure if I love it.
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 years ago

Your room is pretty good. Coffee table is good size! I am not a fun of your sconces. I would go with side tables and lamps instead. Or replace sconces with ones up to date.

• deegw
    6 years ago

I think some more lamps would help brighten things up and add some needed changes in shape and height. Right now the room looks predominantly geometric and horizontal. A few graceful lamps in the middle level of the room will add another nice layer of decor. It's nit picking but you are so close to having a really spectacular room.

• dragonflywings42
    6 years ago

I love the furkid photobomb. He goes so well with your beautiful room that I wonder if his coloring was your inspiration. (Just kidding, sorta.)

I agree with d_gw and celery girl about the layering that some carefully selected lamps would add to the space. I can't see what is on the left of your wall mounted TV, but in the picture it looks isolated and all the weight on that end of the room is in one corner. That said, if I was in the room I would be so comfortable that I probably wouldn't even notice it.

• mjlb
    6 years ago

As I said before, your architecture is just gorgeous! I’m guessing your home is a 1920’s house? At the moment, in its in-process state, your room feels lovely, but a bit staid. It felt richer in the doctored photo by Nancy Ingram. I am no colourist, but I appreciated the deeper color in that photo. You could sample a few colors to see what you think.

I don’t care for the new art above your sofa, but you could probably use it elsewhere. I think a round stone or brass end table would be softer than the rectangular wooden one. If there is sufficient room, I’d move your sofa away from the wall just 2 or 3 inches, to allow it to breathe. I agree with the comments about sconces and lighting, and hope to throw a few options into the mix later.

• Mrs Pete
    6 years ago

I like the room, but what I think it needs is more color. I'd like to see a rug with more red (but that's my personal taste -- I see you have blue accents; perhaps your better choice would be stronger blues -- this room definitely registers as neutrals-first, only a smidge of color). In fact, I'd vote for two larger /identical rugs with red ... one to go under the two chairs by the fireplace, the other to go in the middle of the larger sectional.

I like the idea of a small round ottoman between these two chairs. Someplace for people in these cozy chairs to put their feet up. And I'd go with a small table of some sort for these chairs -- a place to set down a book or a drink. Perhaps something like this -- they're available in a range of colors:

Do these chairs-by-the-fire have good lighting? They'd be a prime place to read or sit and knit.

I'd like to see some drapes on the windows -- it'd bring in some softness and more color -- but I hesitate to suggest that you cover the windows. Perhaps drapes on short dummy rods; something like this:

or full rods, but the drapes pulled to the side:

Here is a picture from behind the sectional. I put up the bronze art
    behind the couch recently, but I'm not too sure if I love it.

Truth? I don't love the bronze squiggles. In another application, I might, but they feel too modern for the room. They seem at odds with the traditional arched niches, the traditional sconces, and the elegant symmetry of the chairs flanking the fireplace.

• Twosit4me
    6 years ago

What a great space! You've done a great job so far. Those last steps are hard for me too, but so important. I would love to see a photo that actually shows the new art above the sofa. I think some moldings around the windows would be a great addition. I also think the photoshop with the fireplace wall a different color was really appealing.

• homechef59
    6 years ago

Thanks for the bigger pictures. It changes the entire perspective. It's a beautiful room. I would follow Bunny Williams advice and be sure that every seat has a place to set a drink and a plate of food.

I like your sconces. I wouldn't change them. But, you do need more lighting. I would consider some thin console tables behind the fireplace sofas.

You have a lot of very good furniture pieces to build upon. What you need now is to add layers. While I like the fireplace area rug, it still needs to be larger. I would change the fireplace mirror decoration to an art piece.

That cove molding is beautiful. Any window coverings that you consider need to be very simple in order to not detract from the cove molding. Have you considered painting the ceiling a very pale blue?

• mjlb
    6 years ago

Minor suggestion, but could you rotate and hang your bright artwork in the niche wall? Note: I can't really see the artwork, so my apologies if rotating it is not appropriate!

• Michelle
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Again, thank you everyone for such helpful feedback. I do love the idea of painting the fireplace wall a richer, deeper color. Do you think it will look to just have it as an accent wall? I loved the photoshopped picture with the wall and ceiling the same color, but if we were doing the fireplace wall as an accent wall then we wouldn't obviously paint the whole ceiling. But I do love the idea of painting the niche the same color as the accent wall.
    I have attached a couple more pictures with the artwork above the couch and a different perspective of the room if you were standing at the fireplace. Adding layers and drapery is definitely something very difficult for me. Before we started decorating this room I was convincing my husband of doing a monochromatic beige and brown because I'm so intimidated with color. However, when I see other peoples rooms with color and rich deep decorative accents, I love it!
  • Michelle
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Unfortunately, the bright artwork is too large for the niche, and yes, it's a 1928 English Tudor! I love the character and beauty of the home, I'm just having such a hard time doing it justice..
  • mjlb
    6 years ago

From the new photos, I can see there is room to move your sofa a few inches away from the wall, which would give you room for floor lamp(s). And you also have room for a console under the wall-mounted TV, to better balance the room. Adding artwork on the TV side of room would also be nice. Since your eye does need a place to rest, I would remove the artwork behind the sofa, and just rely upon floor lamps as some decor for that area.

What are your functional needs for the window treatments? I'm having trouble coming up with anything other than sheer roman shades.

I would paint the entire room, not just an accent wall near the fireplace. The niche could be a different color, if desired.

• mjlb
    6 years ago

On your TV wall, what I think would look really great is a cabinet about 60-in high x ~50-in wide x 18-in deep. It's comfortable to watch TV at the slightly lower height than you currently have, and I think that wall could use some height.

However, if you choose to add a console / credenza instead, it would be fun to look for a piece with art deco lines, to introduce some curves to your room.

And because your room is quite elegant, I'd be inclined to cover the TV with screens - here are a few examples:

For side table, I'd go popular culture with something from CB2 or West Elm:

It's a great room, and sounds like a gorgeous house!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

A console under the TV is an excellent suggestion. I'd remove the decoration over the couch and put the large picture that was to the right side of the mantel over the couch. I would incorporate the warm colors from the painting into pillows on the couch and chairs to give the room more life. If the picture is not large enough, make it the center of a gallery wall. We don't often see a good one in real life, but with the right art the room would look so much more vibrant. Please be sure to hang the painting low enough over the couch, should you decide to put it there. Pillows in yellow and gold and even with touches of a brick red would beautifully offset the gray/blue general scheme.

• JD
    6 years ago

Following

• Trem Wills
    6 years ago
    Nice job! I would also suggest moving the art over the couch. I also agree with updating sconces. I’ll post a few I like.
  • oaktonmom
    6 years ago

Love your coffee table. I’d love to know where you got it!

• PRO
    Lumar Interiors
    6 years ago

We think the art behind your sectional, and behind the overstuffed chair should be changed. It doesn't seem to go with the feel you want. Also, try to get a round ottoman, and move the chairs further our from the fireplace if you can. They feel cramped.

Transitional Style Decor · More Info

Royal York Renovation and Decoration: Family Room · More Info

• homechef59
    6 years ago

I've put my 2 cents in already, but I just noticed something in a picture that I hadn't noticed before. Even if you keep the floating TV set on the wall, get a console table to go underneath it. Otherwise, it looks like it's levitating. It shouldn't be wide, you don't want to block the walk path, but something needs to go under the TV.

• Scott
    6 years ago

That is a huge room!

The niche perplexes me. I wonder what the designer had in mind there originally.

• Allison0704
    6 years ago

For another hidden TV idea, I had a pair of sliding doors made to cover our TV during the daytime. I never turn it on and didn't want the big black hole. TV is 46-inch and we had it before the doors were made. They also made the door to the right from an antique metal and wood shutter I found. It houses the DISH equipment and DVD player.

Two panels go to the left, one to the right.

If this idea interests you, more ways to hide the TV can be found here.

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

following

• Michelle
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    oaktonmom thank you, the table is Vanguard, it was the only solid wood table that we loved in that size 54x54!
    I have started the search for a credenza to go under the tv. That wall is large and so much empty space, so I'm searching for a 70-80 inch credenza.
    Thank you to everyone for their honest opinion on the bronze art behind the sectional; it was something that I was unsure of but wanted to love. We originally had the colorful artwork, that is now near the two chairs, over the sectional. But it seemed to clash with the blue and being scheme. Any ideas of what to put over the sectional?
    As for window treatments, I wanted to do some kind of drapes; I really liked the idea of swooping a one panel to the side for an elegant look.
  • Michelle
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    mjlb I love your recommendation for end table, specifically that second option. Any suggestions on floor lamps? would you recommend putting just one near that end table?
  • mjlb
    6 years ago

I don't know why my photos are posting so large, even after I resize them to be small. Rather than show you ENORMOUS photos, I'll link instead:

I could see this torchiere in the corner where you currently have a floor lamp. Not sure I would want more than one though, even though I do think you need two floor lamps at your sofa. torchiere

Since you liked those brass end tables, you might like this simple brass floor lamp. These would look good as a pair around your sofa. reading lamp

What are your thoughts about your existing sconces? I don't much like them (had similar ones in my Victorian house), but if they are of the period of the house, I'm not sure that I would change them.

Have you considered having covers built for the radiators? They look great and give a little shelf space too. Along those lines, I worry a little about drapery touching the radiators - do they get quite hot?

Do you have an inspiration photo for the swooping of one panel - I've seen curtains held back high, or held back low, sometimes mostly covering window, othertimes mostly exposing the window.

• mjlb
    6 years ago

I don't have photoshop skills, but I did sort of show the corner lamp and side tables.

And below, I added a media armoire that is 54h x 52w x 19d to hide the tv (I guessed that this would be wide enough for your tv) as an alternative to a long, low credenza. I aslo like the idea of picking up the warm wood color of your door trim. This is an antique with burled wood, and not quite right, but hopefully you get the general idea.

I'm not sure if your area rug can be shifted or rotated to include the front feet of an armoire or credenza, but IMO, that would be ideal.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!