SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

Gardeners living on dreams

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

As a gardener I find myself nourished to an extraordinary extent by anticipation, and I think I have a lot of company. How many of us have times when we look forward to spring, or fall, or the beginning of the rains, or the appearance of the sun? My garden is, I hope, finally going to start looking up, after the longest period of the worst events that I've known since I started gardening thirty years or so ago. A year and a half of mostly bad things happening, and they're not over, but I think the balance may finally be shifting in favor of positive developments. At the moment the garden is a mess, normal in March but worse than usual, and though there are a few flowers in bloom, most of my satisfaction comes from looking forward to April. At that point--I think--the freezes will be over, temperatures will be warming, plants will be leafing out, the abundant rains and snows of recent weeks--it snowed again yesterday, I hope for the last time this season--will have gotten absorbed, in short, spring will be well launched. Of course there's really abundant room for new disasters to strike, but let's not think about that right now.

One of the miseries of 2017 and its year-long drought was that I wasn't able to order bulbs and plants for fall because I didn't know when it would start to rain. Nothing to look forward to, in other words. Nothing to dream about. I found myself suffering from this as much as from the effects of the drought on the garden itself. I was stuck, drearily, with the what there was, with little possibility of amplification, of change, of improvement, of newness. It was depressing that the chief possibilities were either standing still or going backwards. Recently, with the fair likelihood in mind that the porcupine could eat up....

(quick pause to chase the donkey out of the flowerbed)

a good part of the geophytes (tubers and bulbs) growing in the woods and garden, I've been shopping for daffodils, which are poisonous and therefore porcupine-proof. The offerings are good, the price is right, the shipping is not by SDA. Who could ask for more? I can't order until summer, but now I have something to dream about, a psychological bulwark against the ravages of the porcupine. I find I need something to hang on to.

Comments (25)