SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_morris95

Advice needed: How to select an architect and builder

Sarah Morris
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We are planning to begin construction on a 5-6 bedroom farmhouse early next spring. We live in a medium-sized, close-nit, somewhat affluent town in New England, where everyone seems to know everyone else. There is a farmland easement for our land, regulating exactly where we can build, and our town has a pretty particular code enforcement officer too.

My questions are these:

1) How important is it that the architect we select has an established relationship with the builder we select?

2) How important is it that the architect and builder each have established relationships with our town officials, like the picky Code Enforcement officer? Similarly, is it particularly advantageous to hire someone local to our town, as apposed to hiring an architect, for example, 30 minutes away?

3) How important is it that the architect and builder's portfolios demonstrate previous projects that are similar in STYLE to our envisioned home? (Traditional farmhouse, rather than ultra-modern.)

4) In your experience, is it better to select large architectural firms and larger construction companies, or smaller ones?

5) What are the most important questions you think I should ask when we interview architects and builders?

6) Any advice for cutting costs with an architect?

Thank so much in advance. I'm really starting to get anxious about this process!

Sarah

Comments (13)