SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schreibdave

Pressure boosting pump causes water heater T&P valve to open

schreibdave
6 years ago

New house in Syracuse New York. NG 50 gallon AO Smith water heater. Pex supply lines.

We had low water pressure from the town (30 psi) so I had a Grundfos Scala2 water pressure pump installed. That is set to boost the pressure up to about 60 psi.

Two things are going on.

First, the pump will occasionally over boost the pressure so that my gauge is pinned at 90 psi. It will stay there until a faucet is opened somewhere to relieve the pressure. I assume that whatever sensors are in the pump to measure incoming and outgoing pressure are not quite smart enough to get it right every time.

Second, the pressure valve on my water tank leaks periodically. I assume because it is doing its job and relieving excess pressure caused by the pump and maybe by the expansion of hot water.

My neighbor has the same pump and water heater but their plumber (through the builder) installed a small water pressure tank (maybe 2 gallons). It's physically mounted above the heater but I am not sure if it is on the hot or cold side.

Would a tank like that solve my two problems? What size would make sense? And does it matter where in the system it is installed?

FWIW my pump was installed by a plumber who was doing the work on the side after hours and he didnt really seem familiar with the pump or its installation. Though he seemed to otherwise know what he was doing.

Thanks

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths