SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ademello_gw

Do I need a Pressure Reducing Valve / Expansion Tank?

ademello
13 years ago

Please help me! I don't know what to make of my situation. I know very little about plumbing. Most of what I describe below I have learned in the past couple of weeks.

My house is 14 years old and I have experienced two slab leaks in the past nine months. I am trying to understand if this was just a dose of bad luck or if there is an underlying cause(s) behind it. It is probably not easy to pinpoint the cause of slab leaks since there are so many underlying factors that can contribute to it. A primary suspect right now is high municipal water pressure. I purchased a water pressure gauge and connected it to the bib outside. The lowest reading I get is 80 psi. The pressure will often rise to 90-94 psi. I left the gauge connected overnight and it recorded a peak reading of 98 psi. I learned that as communities grow, instead of upgrading the infrastructure ($$$), cities will often resort to the easy fix which is to crank up the pressure.

How big of an issue are the readings I am getting? In researching several plumbing forums I have read that anything above 80 psi stresses out the pipes and should be avoided, and that the ideal static pressure in your home should be no higher than 70 psi? I am not counting on the city to resolve my problem. Is there enough justification for me to consider installing a Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV)? And if so, this leads me to a whole new set of questions dealing with thermal expansion. I have a 50 gallon gas water heater. Right now, the increased water volume resulting from TE finds its way back into the municipal supply because the setup allows it. Once a PRV is installed, however, I will create a "closed system" situation that could make matters worst if not done correctly? If for instance the water pressure will now have to work its way to 80 psi and beyond before a relief is triggered within the system (either through the water heater's T&P valve or the PRV itself) then it becomes a mute point to install a PRV in the first place. Am I missing something? I have read that some PRVs incorporate a thermal expansion feature, but I don't know this works. I have started to read about expansion tanks. It almost seems like if I install a PRV, I must also get an an expansion tank installed if I want to do it right and address the TE concern?

Thank you.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living