SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsey_b85

You Can Do Better - Finding the right home to renovate

Lindsey B
6 years ago
After my last mega thread about buying a McMansion in the DFW area, my husband and I thought long about how to move forward.

We decided that it’s in our best interest to bump our budget down, scale back, and look at what we really want in a home and renovate (not full down to studs, but possibly windows, new kitchen, floors, paint, fixtures).

Husband would prefer and major Reno completed before move in. I’m open to living in the house for a few months to work out all the kinks. We both work from home and I admit the destructions of living on site would be stressful. Also looking to start a family shortly after buying a home and hubby isn’t thrilled with me being around a construction site. Depending on exactly when we buy, we don’t need to move in right away. Ideally we would be in the home by the end of the year.

Many of you had a lot of good points with the underlying theme being “You can do better.”

Now I’m asking what we should be looking for in a home where we can do better.

A few things we are looking for:

Good Schools (minimum of 7, but hoping for 8+)
Safe
Old growth trees
Gas (range and fireplace)
Established Neighboorhood
Backyard not facing East (preferably S)
Street is not major through street
No corner fire place (avoid angles in layout)

I don’t think we can go full chip and Joanna Gaines... but would be okay with more than just painting. I’d love to do a full kitchen Reno but not have to touch the rest of the home.. wishful thinking I know!!

Anything I should look for specifically? Is a certain age of home any indicator? I’d like to get a good bang for our Reno buck, and be mindful of not over improving the house for the neighborhood. How should we take the next steps?

We do plan on staying there as long as possible, so we will buy enough sq ft and rooms/ bathrooms so the only reason we move is for a job. Not because we outgrew the space.

Sophie posted a link for the average costs of renovations on another thread. That was helpful, but it seems like any house we buy we will quickly over improve at those rates.

I know budgets are touchy here, saying it’s not helpful because every market is different. I’d be fine with updating to include our price range for those of you in the DFW area if the consensus is it would be helpful.

I can’t wait to see what you all advise!

Thank you!!
Lindsey

Comments (21)