SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
albcal

adapting kitchens for people with aging/disability issues

albcal
6 years ago

We are planning to remodel our kitchen and have important needs that must be addressed. Like much of the baby boomer population, I am no longer able to stand on a stool in order to reach up to retrieve dishes, glassware and serving pieces. Plus I have Parkinson's and may face problems related to reduced flexibility. From my point of view, form must follow function. My kitchen currently has deep lower cupboards that waste tremendous space and should be replaced entirely by pull-out drawers; upper cupboards that reach the ceiling and need to be replaced by some open shelving; more convenient storage space. Our appliances are beyond old and mostly need replacing,

I have looked for designs for adults with disabilities with limited success. And don't even start on bathrooms that cannot accommodate walkers and skinny door ways that make mobility a huge issue.

What do you think about devoting an entire issue to functionality for mid-range budgets. (I'd like to budget for $35,000. Is that mid-range?)

Albi Calman

Comments (20)