SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

It's the level of quality disconnect.

palimpsest
6 years ago

I have been thinking about build and design related things (as usual). And one of the perennial discussions about building houses and furniture is the sorts of finishes that get put into kitchens and baths (in particular) and with furniture it's the level of quality.

And I was also talking to my financial advisor this week and I said I was going to take $X and I was hoping it would be enough to finish the house. And he said "Finishing your house is another form of investing" and I said "I always think of it as just spending money" . The reality of it is that it's somewhere in the middle. To some extent you have to invest in it as a viable place to live and beyond a certain point it's just spending money.

I was in a new build with a first-time buyer recently and overall the build is of middling quality. I did help them pick the less trendy and less specific finishes from the available palette and I do think we came up with some things that don't scream 2017 Fall Collection. The builders offerings for this middling quality house tended toward the flashy if you wanted to go that way (As did a slightly lower quality builder they also looked at) and still the house does have a fancy kitchen sink and faucet and marble in some of the bathrooms and that sort of thing.

The other builder, actually of lower construction quality, had more marble, tray ceilings, glitzy pendants and various other doodads, the sorts of things that one used to see in large "fancier" houses, not row houses, which these are.

So to some extent there is a disconnect already between the quality of the build and the quality of some of the materials going into the house on the surfaces.

(And I am not sure that the quality of the build increases much of the time as the house gets larger and more expensive: I was in a 10 sq ft house and while it had stone with built up ogee tops and marble floors in the bathrooms and lots of Subzero refrigerator and moldings and details all over--the fit and finish was hardly better than this little row house and if you felt the woodwork it hadn't been prepped any better before painting in the mansion vs. the row house).

Here is where the furniture comes in. Furniture is not an "investment" like a house is an "investment" so one does not spend money on furniture. For the new build I sent them links to Room and Board. I think Room and Board makes decent furniture and I don't think in the scheme of things that it is expensive, at least some of it isn't.

And I got back a laughing response that I "must think we are made of money". That they can't afford furniture that expensive. And the next time I was there there were four pieces of furniture from Target.

And the 10,000 sq foot house has some nice furniture in the most public formal spaces, but there are rooms and rooms of price point furniture some of which was probably picked up at The Dump. Not that there's anything the matter with getting a decent piece of furniture at a big discount. The "man cave" in the basement has $30,000 worth of Subzero behind the bar and is otherwise filled with not so very great furniture.

I guess I don't see the point between having a house (especially a huge house) with all these "details" and "finishes" and then half filling it with cheapish furniture.

Comments (36)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm