SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nini804

My IPhone related meltdown today at Verizon

nini804
6 years ago

15 year old dd’s phone (2 years old, just paid off, natch) has been glitching & randomly not charging, etc. Went to Verizon, our carrier. Went through all options to get a working phone, none were free. Dd decided she wanted the 10, and agreed to pay the monthly difference between that & the 8, which I had agreed to pay for. Anyway, of course we had to get the screen protector, new case (old one didn’t fit, natch.) But happiness...these items were cheaper in a “bundle” with a free extra charger! Joy! *insert snarky face.)

Apparently Verizon has no “genius” bar bc the decidedly NOT genius who “set up” the phone didn’t activate it which we didn’t realize until after dd got it home & set it up. So I had to go BACK today. While NOT genius #2 was actually activating it this time, he asked, “so did you get the wireless charger with this?” I said no, we received an extra wall charger with our bundle but No one mentioned wireless. He said,”you really should get one...otherwise your battery will go bad if you charge it overnight bc it overcharges once it hits 100%. So I nicely said, “ok, I will switch out the extra charger for that.” He said, “Oh no, it isn’t part of the bundle...you have to pay extra.”

Y’all, a dark angry feeling washed over me. In a VERY unlike me fashion I said, “Excuse me, surely you are kidding?!?? So since my daughter needs her phone charged, and chooses to charge it overnight, you’re saying I either need to wake her up to unplug it or buy SOMETHING ELSE to prevent the battery on a $1000 phone from going bad??? Is that what you are saying?? Apple can’t figure out how to keep the batteries from going bad, so they are charging customers EVEN MORE or blaming (and charging) THEM when the battery dies???!? Is that what you are saying, JIM (not his name)??? I can assure you if the battery on this $1000 phone goes bad I will deliver it back to Cupertino myself with a nasty note for your moronic CEO.” (I realize “Jim” doesn’t work for Apple, but I was on a roll.) One guy in line actually applauded my tirade. I of course apologized, but I’d had enough. We are such slaves to these stupid phones anyway, and something just snapped.

Comments (26)