SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicole___

What's everyone been up to ? Cooking? Crafts? Projects?

nicole___
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

DH & I painted, with a brush, an entire house's exterior, in a weekend. 25-30mph wind. The paint was chipping off due to hail. We hand sanded it first. New shutters will be purchased next. Maybe dark grey w/ a hint of blue? White? Black? Suggestions?

Before:

After:

Lots of rose bushes, this is an apple tree.

Then Tuesday & Wednesday we met friends @ Monte Visa Colorado to photo-shoot cranes, owls, hawks.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What have YOU been up to?

Comments (43)

• eld6161
    6 years ago

How does this work, Susan? When you leave it, do you want/expect people to pick it up and keep it? Or, are they just supposed to enjoy it where it sits?

NIcole, wow what a good job you did. Looks like your house is now a golden tan? At least on my monitor. If so, I would go with black or white shutters.

nicole___ thanked eld6161
  • Related Discussions

What has been your favorite Birthday gift - cooking or food relat

Q

Comments (26)
    This is a totally different idea, but I wanted to mention it because I recently rediscovered my immersion blender. I wanted something I could take out of town with me that was small and easy to pack, and...I know this would sound odd to some...offered a little bit of ''help'' in case I decided I wanted to bake. (A readily-available kitchen is a good thing.) Anyway, I realized my immersion blender (Kitchen Aid) had a whip attachment (like a miniature hand-mixer) that I'd never used. Eureka! Of course I had to try it out, and it works beautifully. If your friend doesn't have one, she would probably love it for blending soups, making smoothies or chopping things. The best part is they're not terrible expensive. (FYI; maybe not for now, but for the future.)
    ...See More

What Has Everyone Been Up To?

Q

Comments (13)
    I took a DVD called "Days of The One Room Schoolhouse" to a local nursing home to share with the residents as one of their activities for this week. Had lunch first with a friend who resides there and had a long visit. Everyone seemed to enjoy the documentary even tho several fell asleep. ;) On the way there I happened to look down and see the "Check Engine" light was on. Oh crap. I was hoping I'd at least make it to the home and then when I came back out the car would start. It did start but the light was still on so I drove it on into the dealership where I know the hourly rate of service is high but. Anyhow, a young guy got in the car with a diagnostic tool and hooked that up to my car's computer under the steering wheel (who knew?) and then asked if I had recently gotten gas. I had. He said the car's computer was showing the code for "Loose gas tank cap". He checked it, tightened it, and the light went off. Plus there was no charge - what a relief. Esp. about the no charge, that doesn't happen very much now days. Came home, made a cup of coffee and then went out and finished mowing parts of the yard I didn't get to yesterday. Now I can relax.
    ...See More

What Has Everyone Been Doing Today?

Q

Comments (11)
    morning! we are in Traben´on the mosel river, staying in another youth hostel. lauren and i ate breakfast, boys are still sleeping. we are leaving in a little bit to drive to koln to go to the zoo. this keyboard is driving me nuts...the letters are in different places...well, some of them. so excuse my mistakes. we are here for three days going to trier tomorrow and then frankfurt on wednesday, fly out on wednesday morning. it will be good to get home. lot of things have changed here, the base i used to work at is completely changed, do not recognize anything about it as they have moved the old gates and the main road has changed outside it. i also could not find the last house i lived in, used to be a tiny village with one main street and maybe 20 homes, now has 2 streets and no sign of the old house. cannot wait to get home and catch up on everyone here at the kt.
    ...See More

What crafts projects are YOU working on this Winter? Hhhhmmmm......

Q

Comments (62)
    That is Malabrigio Rios, colorway Diana. Malabrigio is a wonderful kettle dyed merino wool and great to work with but it’s expensive. The skeins only have 210 yards and run about 15.50/skein. That kind of yarn is best suited for clothing or accessories. Once you’re on your way with your crochet, it would be a great choice to make something with. What’s funny though is that out of the thousands of yarns available, you chose the only yarn and colorway that I’ve been eyeing for a long time. I just haven’t found the right project for it yet. I like your style Raven!!! For someone starting out, the inexpensive acrylic or cotton yarns are really going to be your best option, especially because it will take some practice for you to get used to the stitches and get your tension right. Also, acrylic yarn is the best choice for Afghans (or lapghans) because the yarn is more boyant, wears well over time and it won’t fuzz up the way wool can. Just for fun, this link will take you to the information page for Malabrigio Rios in Ravelry. If you click where it says “90.6 K projects” you will be able to see what others have done with this yarn. It’s both knit & crochet but you can filter it to just crochet. https://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/malabrigo-yarn-rios And here are the links for I love this Cotton & I love this yarn so you can see what it’s used for too. https://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/hobby-lobby-i-love-this-cotton https://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/hobby-lobby-i-love-this-yarn
    ...See More
  • susanwv
    6 years ago

About the rocks, we have a Facebook page, write that on the back. People who find can post pic if they want, can keep the rock, or re-hide them.

nicole___ thanked susanwv
  • Adella Bedella
    6 years ago

Nicole, I'm assuming you are in Colorado. Acceptable house colors and styles there are different from what I am used to. The house color now looks to be in the tan family so I'm not sure about mixing it with a grey. A dark teal would be pretty I think. Teal may too flamboyant for your needs. I think a dark brown would would look good too.

I love the rocks with the little gnomes. I wanted to do craft shows several years ago. I did ok at my first one. I move too much to really get into because I am more of a niche person and design my crafts based on the local area. Craft shows don't do as well as they had in the past. By the time I find where I fit in, it is time to move on.

I've been busy with kids and their activities. I'm attempting a big push on my family tree scrapbook that I'm compiling for extended family. I've apparently collected more than the rest of the family. My hope is that if I share my work, it will get passed on to future generations.

nicole___ thanked Adella Bedella
  • Summer
    6 years ago

I have been experimenting with flavors for second ferment Kombucha. I have some combinations of fruit and herbs that are winners and some I thought would be good that I didn't care for.

Nicole - with that color, I think I would choose something sage green or a deeper taupe than is on the house.

nicole___ thanked Summer
  • Michael
    6 years ago

I suggest a raised panel shutter in paintable vinyl, that way you can experiment with different browns or other colors, make a choice then paint.

nicole___ thanked Michael
  • socks
    6 years ago

Nicole, you must be exhausted. Painting in the wind? Oh well, I guess the paint dried quickly. White shutters might look nice, match trim. It looks very nice as is.

Susan, the gnomes/trolls are really cute. I've noticed that at craft fairs over the years--lots of lookers, not many buyers. Lot of work to set up for a craft show too.

I dug out two dying raphiolepis (Indian hawthorne) and replanted the same from 5-gallon pots. The new bushes are in bud, and I hope they will still bloom, considering the transplant. I met my goal of getting both of them in the ground before last night's rain. The bushes and root balls were big, old and gnarly, but I did it!

nicole___ thanked socks
  • lindaohnowga
    6 years ago

Nicole, your house looks very nice. I can't imagine hand painting a house and especially in the wind.

Susan, I love your rocks, especially the gnomes. They are adorable.

I've been working on Easter cards for a swap I hosted.

nicole___ thanked lindaohnowga
  • lgmd_gaz
    6 years ago

Lately, not much of anything other than more jigsaw puzzles, reading and trying to cope with a bout of pneumonia which meant a few days in the hospital. Brought on unbelievable weakness and resulted in more than one 10 round knock down drag 'em out brawls with my pharmacy. The sun is shining and hopes for an early spring so that I can spend time outside with the birds and bees etc is keeping me looking forward to better times.

nicole___ thanked lgmd_gaz
  • User
    6 years ago

Wow....we have a shed that needs a new coat of paint and have been dreading that task all winter. I can’t imagine hand painting an entire house .... in a weekend. I’m always always amazed with the projects you take on and do so beautifully Nicole! Great job! As for shudder colors, I think a pop of color would be fun, use a color that that is native to Colorado.

Susan, those are the cutes rocks I think I’ve ever seen! I love the story as to why you’re painting them too. How fun!

nicole___ thanked User
  • irma
    6 years ago

Nice job Nicole. My husband always insisted on using a brush as opposed to a roller too. He claimed it did a better job. I think something green or brown would work or just as is looks fine.

Summer I have been buying kombucha at Costco lately and the probiotics have really helped me with some digestive tract issues. I bet the home made is delicious.

nicole___ thanked irma
  • marilyn_c
    6 years ago

Nicole, I admire your work ethics! I am still packing to move. Have a helper here for the past few days. We haven't finished the house and still have several outbuildings to go. It is exhausting work. You sure can accumulate a lot in 20 yes at one place.

nicole___ thanked marilyn_c
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

Marilyn have you sold or bought yet?

Nicole nice job! I would go with something different for the shutters and maybe match the door to it. Dark Cranberry, deep purple, turquoise, dark navy. I have found several on pinterest that are different from the norm and I really like them.

Love those rocks!

nicole___ thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

Here's deep Cranberry with your tan

• eld6161
    6 years ago

Babysitting my grand pup. It's nap time sshhhhh:)

nicole___ thanked eld6161
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

Love!

• Kathsgrdn
    6 years ago

Been working almost everyday. I had Friday off and spent the day dropping my car off to get an oil change and brake check, found out I need more work done (not as much as I thought though), and a new tire. So after picking it up in the afternoon had to go to Wal-Mart for a new tire since the guy I took it to said it should be done soon and he didn't have tires on hand. I have today off and had to do some shopping and now cooking for tomorrow's dinner since I have to work the next 3 days. Doing laundry. Also cleaned the floors in the house with the help of my exchange student. I'm wanting to plant my garden and do some spring cleaning, just don't have time now and it's still too cold for the garden. We're supposed to get snow today.

Early this morning, Lauren was on her way home from work, followed by her boyfriend in his car, they and about 4 or 5 other cars hit a big rig's blown out tire coming out of Lexington. It messed up the underside of my son's car (that Lauren is using right now). So, she'll be making a trip to the mechanic tomorrow. Luckily her boyfriend's car didn't get damaged. I'm taking my car back on Thursday to change out a caliper.

Going to spend the rest of the day relaxing and listening to a book on CD. It was due back at the library last week.

nicole___ thanked Kathsgrdn
  • mushcreek
    6 years ago

I've been doing 'man stuff', heavy duty yard work that it's been too cold/wet to do all winter. We are just now getting around to landscaping our little house in the woods, even though we officially moved in 2-1/2 years ago. Last fall, we had the final grading done and I planted grass. Now I'm trying to beat back the encroaching woods. The last two weekends I have been clearing a big wild blackberry patch behind the barn. Not fun! But I got to break out my wood chipper, which is great fun (it's a guy thing). I also got the dirt spread over the new vegetable patch, and I need to get the cool weather stuff in (it's already a bit late).

nicole___ thanked mushcreek
  • jewels_ks
    6 years ago

Today I went and did a hour and 45 minute work out. Then I went up to my work where we have prom every other year for our school (Special Education). Our theme this year is tropical so 4 of us and about 20 students from a local Catholic school, started making all the decorations.

nicole___ thanked jewels_ks
  • bengardening
    6 years ago

Last weekend I went down to Omaha with my niece and her husband from Rapid City. My sister from another mother has cancer so we went to visit her. On Monday morning we left down there and it was raining. It didn't take long and it turned to snow. They closed I-80 here in SD. We headed west of Souix City and drove 45 miles an hour for 2 1/2 hours. We drove out of it. I had left my vehicle along the interstate and I couldn't get top it, so I went to RC with them for 2 days. We drove the 2 hours back to my vehicle. It wouldn't start, because the battery was dead. SO they brought me up to Pierre and my DH came down and picked me up. The next night he was going to go down there with a trailer to get the car, but his Blazer was not repaired the next day like he hoped. We decided to go down there with our other car to see if we could get it started. He hooked the jumper cables on it and it started right away. We think the starter was froze up the night before. So we got home fine with both vehicles.

This morning I went out to start my car to go to church and scraped my windows. I came back in for a little bit and the phone rang. I answered it and a neighbor lady was calling to say one of our guys here in town had fallen down while he was walking over to get some coffee. He was in the middle of the street and trying to stand up. I went down there and stopped beside him. I told him to get into my car. He tried to pull himself up using my door handles and he couldn't do it. He kept saying he would be okay if he could stand up. I said Gerald you will fall again and probably bread a bone or something next time you fall. I finally convinced him to crawl into my car and I gave him a ride, the 2 blocks where he was going.

Other than that I an learning how to crochet. My sister helped me a little bit and now I am watching youtube. I am also working on a rug and doing some reading. O and I am also trying to toilet train my cat with the Littterkwitter.

nicole___ thanked bengardening
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Raven....cranberry is pretty! The blue shutters are real wood! I think these wood shutters are perfect...and I could make them out of rough cedar.....hhhmmmmm...

I appreciate everyones thoughtful ideas on colors.....still haven't decided...and thank you for all the compliments on the painting. I need to stain the wood fencing next. I'm trying to contact the neighbor, since I would need to stand on her driveway to access my fence.

Susanwv....love the little bearded gnomes rocks.

adella....busy w/ kids & ancestry work....cool!

Summer....I've never tried Kombucha. You'll have to start a thread and tell us about it....

Brushworks....thank you for the vinyl advice. It's a rental so if I don't love the color choice I can change it in 5 years.

socks....great that your already gardening!

linda....the wind made it dry quickly. :0)

lukkiirish, gaz. Irma, Marilyn, Raven, Eld(so cute), Kath, mush, Jewels....your all so busy. Great projects and ideas!

Ben....glad you got your neighbor into your car....whew....

• Ava
    6 years ago

Though I like the ones Raven shows on those particular houses, I think with your house something more subdued would look better. Something more neutral with the house color and if you can add a bold color for the front door or let the plants be the pop of color.

nicole___ thanked Ava
  • FlamingO in AR
    6 years ago

I think dark grey would look striking on that house, Nicole.

This isn’t much but I made an oak table into an ironing table just by making a removable cover with a pad underneath. Now I can press a quilt top much more easily. My little ironing board is just too small

nicole___ thanked FlamingO in AR
  • Ava
    6 years ago

Nicole, is the roof a green color or is it black? That paint is a huge improvement...I forgot to say.

nicole___ thanked Ava
  • bengardening
    6 years ago

Flamingo I wouldn't call that not much. It looks like you did a wonderful job on it and I am sure you will be very happy when you use it.

nicole___ thanked bengardening
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    6 years ago

I envy that ironing table FlamingO in Arkansas! I don't iron often, but that would be sweet for ironing curtains or sewing projects.

nicole___ thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    6 years ago

You've all been so busy! I worked long shifts all weekend, meh. Earlier in the week we cleaned carpets and other chores. The grandkids from OKC are coming to visit (with their mom) next week during Spring Break.

So many other activities, scrapbooking, intensive gardening,
    recuperating from illness, handmaking cards, driving heavy equipment,
    packing to move, relaxing with a DVD (especially like that one),
    tropical decorations for a party, grand dog sitting and rescuing fallen
    neighbors!

Summer, we tried making Kombucha tea years ago when the practice was more of a fad and I got digestive upset from it, plus that huge floating culture kind of freaked me out. We tried drinking it for a few months, not sure if it helped with my arthritis or not. I wonder how it would affect me now? I wonder if the practices have changed. The pamphlet that we followed to get it started looked quite old fashioned. A friend gave us a start of the culture and the pamphlet.

Nicole, that paint totally improved the look of the home and brought the details that were invisible with its dark color out. That bay window is my favorite feature and I really didn't notice it until your after picture.

Susan, I love your painted rocks, both the design and the concept of leaving them out to be found. We came across one a while back and left it there thinking that someone had left it for a scavenger hunt maybe.

I hope you all have fun doing whatever you are working on.

nicole___ thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ava...The roof is dark grey, almost black. Thanks for liking the paint color. The neighbors comment was, "It no longer looks like a horse barn." :0)

Flamey, that is a cool ironing board-table! You know I'd use it!

PK....I hope U enjoy your company!

• carol_in_california
    6 years ago

Mostly, I have been coughing

Since the major fires in Santa Barbara county in December I have not been well.

Back to the doctor tomorrow.

nicole___ thanked carol_in_california
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Carol....I hope you feel better very soon.

• Judy Good
    6 years ago

I found a picture of a tote/back pack I thought was cool, so I am making one. It can be used as a tote, one the arm or a back pack. Almost done. We shall see how it works out.

nicole___ thanked Judy Good
  • socks
    6 years ago

Clever design, Judy. holding a backpack by the straps can be awkward.

nicole___ thanked socks
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    6 years ago

Just finished up a heckasious work project and took a week off. I've almost finished painting the back porch/pergola, the utility room, hallway, and really really close on the kitchen. I almost have the curtains hung in the utility room and the kitchen. I finished amending the flowerbeds and began planting in earnest. The seedlings have been hardened off. I planted the cold weather loving plants this weekend. They're (and will) getting put to the the test of whether or not they love cold. It "snowed" last night and we will have three days of lows in the lower thirties with one day dipping into the upper twenties. The highs this week range from 48-66 and so I assume it'll only be a handful of hours each night. I haven't put them out early enough in past years, waiting four more weeks and they languish, so I'm pushing it really early this year. Wish me luck!

ETA: doing well! Planted two days ago. Doesn't look shocked or too cold

nicole___ thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • sheilajoyce_gw
    6 years ago

DD arrived for spring break with grandsons. She and her DH will join his parents later in the week in Napa for their annual wine country 4 day tour and shopping. We babysit the boys, and will meet them at our airport with the boys on Sunday for their return to the Lone Star State. They have raised such nice boys that it is a real pleasure to have them here.

nicole___ thanked sheilajoyce_gw
  • hooked123
    6 years ago

You did a great job Nicole! Looks beautiful! I have been working the last few weeks. I have some vintage etchings and went recently and found vintage frames and hung them. I also hung another piece of art. I have been working on my bedroom for the last 7 months and am about to order a few more pieces of furniture: a chair, ottoman, bookshelf (I got a part-time job at a boutique furniture store and work until I can buy each piece). I also have been busy trying to clean! I am thinking of buying a power washer and getting everything ready for spring! We are building a 24 ft staircase outside too.

nicole___ thanked hooked123
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    6 years ago

rob....I don't know why that plant doesn't feel the cold...but looks fine!

Sheila....company is cool! Enjoy!

sabbath....I love the table and trees. I could live with that arrangement of prints! Nice!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    6 years ago

I have also been knitting baby sweaters like mad this week. Took a cute cardigan to my hairdresser for her new granddaughter, and she told me that her DD and SIL don't dress the baby warmly enough, so she will use the sweater. It seems someone told the new parents that babies do not get cold. We have been having a cold spell, so the parents are wearing extra sweaters, but not the barefoot baby. Last week she babysat since her DD was at a conference, and it was cold. The daddy brought the baby barefoot, no sweater or blanket, in the car to grandma's every day. So I am putting my stash of sport yarns to good use and knitting as fast as I can.

nicole___ thanked sheilajoyce_gw
  • User
    6 years ago

I've been doing some diamond painting. It's really quite relaxing.

nicole___ thanked User
  • Alisande
    6 years ago

Great thread! I love seeing everyone's handiwork. and hearing about what they're doing. Carol, I hope your health improves very soon!

My New Year's resolution was to bind the edges of all the rugs and mats I've hooked and left unfinished, and i'm still at it. This crow mat is the latest accomplishment. An online rug hooking group I belong to issued a challenge to hook a chair seat in March and April. I was busy with our power outage and haven't started yet, but I will--even if it means more procrastination on binding the others. :-)

nicole___ thanked Alisande
  • marilyn_c
    6 years ago

I always love seeing your rug hooking projects, Alisande.

Babies don't get cold?!! I have a hard time believing that. I am glad I raised mine before all these new fangled ideas came about. People would pass out from shock if they saw how I raised mine....at my breast 24 hours a day and snuggled up close to me at all times. She seemed to like that...and so did I.

nicole___ thanked marilyn_c
  • jemdandy
    6 years ago

HOUSE PAINTING TIP

Sometimes it is difficult to visualize the appearance of house colors. What I found helpful is try different color schemes on paper first. If you have a drawing of your house, that's good if it is not too big. Make copies and color the copies.You can experiment: should you use 2 colors or 3? Try out both schemes on paper. When doing this, we found that too many colors was not good. You may find that 2 shades of the same color works for some elements. For example, suppose the prime color was blue-gray. Use a darker shade to outline the house and the lighter shade to cover the wide expanses bordered by the outline. You can play around with window trim.

If you do not have a drawing to copy, make an outline sketch. Alternative, take a photo and use software to create an outline image. Convert the photo to black/white and play with the contrast and saturation to get an image that is mostly an outline. Print out copies for coloring.

nicole___ thanked jemdandy
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I spent Tuesday painting the fence a nice brown. It used to be bright red.
    Here's my inspirational photo....the shutters look black...or almost black.

Here in Colorado, everyone is stuccoing houses THIS color, which is why I picked it. The house 3 doors up is a shade darker...and stucco.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JoAnn...fantastic bead project!

Alisande.....gorgeous as always!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    6 years ago

love your inspiration photo. I think the windows and ornamentation are what do it for me. The icing, that is. Nice!

My babies are having a harder time staying watered than they are dealing with cold, which won't matter much after today. We're slated to have 7 more days below 40 degrees until after summer (only one of which is below freezing). Let's see how right Accuweather is. They're pretty close most of the time.

nicole___ thanked rob333 (zone 7b)