SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_rockland

favorite roses zone 4B and under

mary_rockland
6 years ago

It seems a while since there has been discussion on hardy roses so I thought I'd start one. I'm interested in ones that keep their canes as much as possible, or if they don't, grow so quickly and flower so much you don't care. My favorites for hardiness right now are Therese Bugnet (nice clear almost mauvish pink easy to 5 feet early bloomer with rebloom), Morden Centennial (good pink about 4 feet high rebloom) and William Baffin for a tough bright pink climber.
I'm starting to get fond of my Knockouts (the basic one and the double pink) and my Carefree Wonder. Although they do die down nearly to the ground in my 4B zone even with snow cover, they throw up new shoots very quickly and bloom a long time Of course these will never reach the 5 feet of my Therese Bugnet and be an anchor at the back of a border, but I appreciate the rebloom on the shorter stems. Does anyone have any suggestions of their favorites? Are there others that are a tall shrub (at least 4 1/2 to 5 feet) in pink or hot pink/light red that anyone would recommend for a back of the border situation? Are there any hardy ones that you are thrilled with for any particular reason?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!