SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
morgan_pratt36

APARTMENT KITCHEN UGLY

Mackenzie M
6 years ago

New apartment. Ugly kitchen. He said I can do minor changes like painting cupboards but nothing drastic. I CANT change counter tops or floors. Any ideas on how to make this cute and modern? Thanks so much guys. Look forward to your advice

Comments (53)

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

Absolutely do not touch those doors with paint.

You could do a test swatch of removable wall paper on them. Kind of like these washi tape kitchens--don't do washi tape, though, that just seems stupid. https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/diy-washi-tape-kitchen-cabinet-costs-253410

Mackenzie M thanked sheloveslayouts
  • dan1888
    6 years ago

You might try vinyl wrapping the cabinet doors/drawers and face frames. Look into the vinyl wrap being used on cars. Here's info

Mackenzie M thanked dan1888
  • Related Discussions

Need kitchen design help - can't take ugly kitchen anymore

Q

Comments (18)
    Why are you replacing with triple sliding with double (not single)? I am you have thought through this but.... What if you replaced it with standard single door with large glass area (since you have decided to bite the bullet and replace door and spend the money).... I think this will be fine since you have access to the "deck" from the sliding door in the living room. So you still have double access to the deck. Sliding double door versus single door has the exact same access width. The only difference is the amount of light coming in. I think you have enough light that you can do this. I would not do any uppers between the frig and sink to open up the room a little. You could move the frig to that wall, so you have frig, sink, then range on the L going from left to right. This will give you more landing around the stove. I think you will still have enough room for a table in the eating area. Visually, if you are running the cabinets to the ceiling, you need trim that is as wide if not slightly wider than the stiles of the cabinets. Even if the crown is simple in detail, you still need a little more "weight" to balance the cabinets than what is drawn. If you want more modern clean line look (which would not look good with your 6 panel doors), then you can use slab or very plain doors with minimal trim.
    ...See More

Shading ugly fluorescent tubes in the kitchen

Q

Comments (17)
    One option would be, you buy new fixtures and have LL install - my sister has done that. Yes you're improving somebody else's property, but prorated over a yr it wouldn't be that much of an outlay for your own aesthetic enjoyment If handy, you could install them yourself Above the stove, you could take some wood and make a light rail/skirt molding to place in front of fixture, staple heavy-duty Velcro to top of frame and underside of cabinet, possibly do same for sink https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpqVwOogqUQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFZmJpocAHs My sister when a renter used plug-in GE Brightstic flourescent fixtures as under cabinet lighting.She would leave one on 24/7 so she never had to deal w/timers or walk into a dark apartment. BTW, remember, you're not limited to cool white tubes--most common, they also have daylight/kitchen tubes which are warmer in color. The also have LED tubes that can retrofit into existing fixture for even more energy efficiency and $$ savings.
    ...See More

Ugly little cottage needs a beautiful new kitchen. Layout thoughts?

Q

Comments (21)
    laughable - I agree with you in that the peninsula that was there originally functioned well as a place for a second person to prep, a place to set dishes/food etc on and I like being able to stand there and look out the window where the only view is. We also cook all meals from scratch so there does need to be pantry space for this which saves us from having to transport staples from home. Herb- I appreciate your experience as a cottage user as well. It is possible we will be spending 5-6months at a time there in a few years so storage is important especially since the main living area is quite compact and there is not a lot of extra room for sideboards or other furniture type storage pieces. I would like to try and maximize the storage possibilities in the kitchen space. benjesbride - I could live with the corner sink if I had too. I would like to try working a peninsula into the plan, although the trade off is losing the broom closet in the plan that had the fridge at the end of the counter run. We can steal some space from the eating area to extend the main counter run a bit. Would it look odd to wrap a narrow cabinet on the stair wall from the pantry corner?That could be the broom storage.
    ...See More

Shoreditch apartment - kitchen design advice needed for small kitchen

Q

Comments (2)
    Without pics it is impossible to really help. I have lived in London with the tiny kitchens and no storage so think storage before placing fr/ fr underneath counters where cabinets are now.I think an apat. size fridge is all you need . You can post pics like a comment.A smaller sink for sure.
    ...See More
  • Carrie B
    6 years ago

I wouldn't do anything permanent. Add a colorful rug, maybe a teakettle on the stove & a fruit bowl in the corner and call it done. The bright colors will draw attention to themselves and you'll notice the rest of the kitchen less.

Mackenzie M thanked Carrie B
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

I would clean it all add some new handles and some colorful accessories and be done . Do not remove the doors from any of the cabinets it always looks like you removed the doors and never like nice shelving.

Mackenzie M thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • anne dee
    6 years ago

https://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Formica-Countertops

You might consider the challenge of painting the cabinets if you propose to stay for any length of time.

A grey colour for the cabinets would look nice with the white appliances.

check out this inspiration pic for ideas

Mackenzie M thanked anne dee
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Also are you sure I can't paint the doors somehow?

Yes, for sure it will not work out well.

Mackenzie M thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • Denita
    6 years ago

Agree with the consensus above. Don't paint the cabinets. You are buying trouble. As mentioned, replace the hardware on the doors & drawers, clean, area rug & colorful accessories. That's it. Otherwise you will end up with a mess on the doors.

Mackenzie M thanked Denita
  • tiggerlgh
    6 years ago
    Will your landlord a.low you to make major updates like that? I know if my renters did that and it looked worse than it started I would be going after my renters for new cabinets. And I am a pretty easy going landlord paid for many minor fixes that are the renters responsibility per the lease just to keep good renters. Bu5 this would not go over well with me.
  • Denita
    6 years ago

tiggerisgh brings up an excellent point. Even if your LL said you could paint the cabinets, unless it is in writing in your lease, you take the risk of losing a deposit + a lawsuit for damage to the cabinets. Tread carefully here. Only make changes you can take with you (accessories) when you move. If it's not in writing, it doesn't exist.

• rockybird
    6 years ago

I’d leave the cabinet handles. I would not attempt to paint. Instead, I would get a blue colored rug for the floor, a pretty colored tea kettle, maybe a nice dish towel for the stove, and a vase with flowers in the corner. That’s all I’d do. I think that the nice thing about the kitchen is that it is monotone, so you can decorate it easily. If it were a hideous color or with a busy backsplash, it would be difficult to work with, but right now it is just a bank slate. I think you wont notice the kitchen once you do these things and make it your own.

Mackenzie M thanked rockybird
  • cat_ky
    6 years ago

I wouldnt try to paint the cabinets either. My mother had that type years ago, and attempted to paint, and even prepped with bonding primer, the paint chipped terrible. They did end up putting in new cabinets. Once you get some decor of your own in there, and live with the cabinets for a while, you will forget that you dont like them.

Mackenzie M thanked cat_ky
  • suezbell
    6 years ago

There is a white cornice above the cabinets to which you could add horizontal wall paper trim tape in a pattern that reflects your color tastes and interests. Pick a color from that to paint the wall between countertop and overhead cabinets.

Is that an unvented stove hood -- no pipe in the overhead cabinets? If so, since the cabinet doors above the stove hood do not fit well anyway, you might remove those doors, use 3" wide boards and finishing nails to frame around the opening and paint the opening and frame to create a place to display cheerful canisters or cookie jars or large seldom used serving dishes -- making it a focal point of the room. [Since this is a rental, do keep the doors and put them in the far back out of the way place in the corner base cabinet seldom used anyway,

On the wall above/behind the kitchen sink create a faux window. You may be able to pick up a used window that will fit in that space at a nearby Habitat for Humanity Restore Store and paint the frame and add your favorite scenic pic to the wall behind it.

There are other options for creating a faux window as well, including adding either "mini-mural fake window" or "fake window wall art" to the wall.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mini+mural+fake+window&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiMl4XOjOPZAhWD7VMKHY-BAK8Q_AUICygC

https://www.google.com/search?q=fake+window+wall+art&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj2stX0jOPZAhXM21MKHaHGBK4Q_AUICygC&biw=1366&bih=650

or metal/wire wall art with the appearance of a window with your choice of scenic pic on the wall behind it.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Home-Decor-Frames/Mirrors-Wall-Decor/Wall-Art/Assorted-Metal-Wood-Wall-Decor/p/104816

Remove that hook on the inside side of the cabinet above and left of the sink. On these two sides, you could add some peel/stick contact paper or wall paper with you favorite colors.

Mackenzie M thanked suezbell
  • bpath
    6 years ago

Those cabinets are not paintable.

Maybe, maybe, you could apply removable wall covering on them. But there's no telling how the edges will hold up. Maybe Vinyl clings? Or The cling coverings they make for windows?

But you can change the hardware and paint the wall. Go with something neutral, an Ivory or something, and add color with your accessories, and not too many of those. A towel, a paper-towel holder, and your hot-beverage-of-choice maker, and not much else. Stick with one or two colors, it's okay to use neutrals, one theme.

There's no dishwasher, so get a narrow dishdrainer to go inside one of the sinks, but not take up the whole width. (Mine is 6" wide, and suspends from the front and back of the sink. Best 25 cents I ever spent at a rummage sale, I don't know where to find one new lol) You want to keep things off the countertop.

Don't remove doors, it will look like you removed doors. And you'd need to store them, and the hardware, somewhere.

A really retro look to the 70s (the source of all that laminate) would be to use orange as your color.

• Mrs. S
    6 years ago

Painting cabinets, for those who haven't ever thought about it before (like me, back when we lived in apartments), isn't what you think it is. It is removing all the doors, sanding, stripping, sanding, purchase of relatively expensive primer products, relatively expensive painting tools, and expensive special cabinet-quality paint. Taping off, protecting all adjoining surfaces including the appliances, floors, and interior of the cabinets (?), priming, sanding, painting, sanding, painting, sanding, painting, etc. Just go to a diy blog about painting cabinets to see. It is hours and hours and hours of work, and typically requires a covered outdoor area where the doors can dry in between coats. Every product is different, but many require days or more(!!) to fully cure... And so on. And even then, people do not always get good results. Heck, even professionally painted cabinets don't always get good results, just look on this forum for those tales of woe.

I LIKE your cabinets, and totally agree with others to change the pulls, and see about a newer floor. It looks Fine! It looks nice to me! Wood tones are back in style! I wish I had a wood countertop, actually! Good luck!

Mackenzie M thanked Mrs. S
  • Susan Davis
    6 years ago

To get some continuity I would replace the yellow hood with a SS hood...it is small so it will be a reasonable cost. If that is not an option then you can spray paint it and It will add a modern vibe and relate to the SS sink then opt for SS handles.....this will make the kitchen looked unified and more designer ish....If you are the microwave type then look for a small counter top SS model...small and inexpensive but will add another modern vibe.

• Denita
    6 years ago

^Susan has an excellent idea, but get permission in writing from your LL before implementing Susan Davis' idea above. Have the LL prepare an addendum to the lease to give specific permission and both of you sign it. I can't emphasize this point enough.

• blueee
    6 years ago
    Maybe change out the kitchen faucet for something more shiny and fun. It is not that hard to do that kind of swap out. I wouldn’t paint the cabinets but painting the range-hood white is easy. Just make sure it’s clean clean clean so the spray paint will stick!
  • Mackenzie M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much everyone! So far I've only added pops of colour (blue & red) I will upload a picture soon.

-i will ask the landlord for a SS stove fan or see if I can paint white.

-also will get a SS microwave

-as well as new SS handles and faucet.

any recommendation on shapes/look of the handles and what type of faucet? I'm not the best at this

thankyou everyone so far. Helped so much

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

How long do you plan to rent this apt? That’s a lot of work on your list. Can you change faucet yourself and do it right? Do you have renter insurance? If you damaged something by diy, your renter insurance could cover the cost, or use your security deposit. The avg renters only stay at one place for 2 years..,,,,,,

• Denita
    6 years ago

The length of time a renter stays varies by market. It is not likely that renters insurance is going to pay for repairs to something that the OP damaged doing DIY work - that is a myth. Renters insurance doesn't pay for maintenance. Damage caused by the tenant is excluded. Read the policy.

It is likely the LL will take the security deposit for work done by the tenant without specific written permission and depending upon the amount of "damage" the LL could sue for the balance of the cost in small claims court. That is why I have been encouraging the tenant to get written permission, preferably in an addendum to the lease. That way the LL couldn't claim that they didn't give permission should something not turn out well.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

I think if any water damage from renter’s DIY, the renter insurance should pay for it. Correct me if I am wrong. The avg 2 years is from an article of a local LL Assoc. It might be different in FL. It’s a rental not a place of your own after all. I think you should rent a place you like instead of changing all the things.

• Denita
    6 years ago

Renter's insurance doesn't pay for water damage caused by the renter.

As I mentioned, the average rental period will vary by locale. HCOL area's have longer rental averages. Those stats don't take into account renewal periods that don't involve an agent, just the landlord and the tenant, Some markets, including mine, have very limited rental inventory that is snapped up right away so the OP may not have a better option. We don't know the OP's location or market.

• brickln
    6 years ago

You'll never be able to paint the cabinets to your landlord's standards, so don't even try! Paint the walls a bold color- paprika, avocado, navy. Indoor/outdoor mat or cork for the floor. Swap the hardware for something more contemporary; you can take that with you when you move. Don't invest $$ in someone else's property.

Mackenzie M thanked brickln
  • PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    6 years ago

We recommend just adding new hardware (handles to the cabinets) and getting some accessories that are colorful. It should help your kitchen feel more welcoming.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

As someone who rented for many years, I can say that Denita is right about renter's insurance. It covers very little and there are many exclusions for water damage, like no coverage for water that runs down a wall.

>Don't invest $$ in someone else's property.

This.

• Mackenzie M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I tried to accent with blue and red not sure what colour of matt I should get. Also put white kitchen contact paper on the 2 cabinets for now...just to test how it looks, should I do them all like that or none? Thanks so much everyone

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

None. I totally get your wish to make it look brighter and cleaner, but that's not doing it, IMHO.

Incidentally, you can expect to have to pay for new doors at least when you leave if you do contact paper. The residue that stuff leaves is awful. Remove it as soon as possible.

• mjlb
    6 years ago

Yes, please remove contact paper. Try to adjust door hinges so doors properly align. Do research on temporary, removable backsplash - that could have a big impact. ApartmentTherapy.com has whole area of website devoted to renters, and how they improved their spaces. But be very very careful to remember that the space belongs to the landlord, so nothing that changes the property without written permission.

• Mrs. S
    6 years ago

Contact paper just looks like--contact paper. There is a certain charm in first apartment wood-tone cabinetry. I'm completely serious about that. We are all rooting for you to develop that charm. A red/white/blue rag rug would look really cute in there, or some other red/blue rug that suits your taste and need for color. Let the cabinets be a backdrop! Don't make them be something they're not, especially with damaging contact paper, which really isn't fair to your landlord. They will so much cuter with nice, new pulls. You might be surprised by what a difference it makes.

• Mackenzie M thanked mjlb
  • Mrs. S
    6 years ago

I would head down to Home Depot or local hardware store, and shop for pulls that fit in the exact holes already made in your cabinets. Measure carefully, center of screw-hole to center of screw-hole. A "beefier" pull will dress up your kitchen and be the "jewelry" on the simple backdrop of the wood-tone cabinets.

Here's some examples of rugs and hardware. Your choices are limitless:

• Kaillean (zone 8, Vancouver)
    6 years ago

Painting the stove exhaust is an easy job and will look good. For other ideas check out the before/after section on apartmenttherapy.com. Some good examples of inexpensive rental kitchen makeovers.

Mackenzie M thanked Kaillean (zone 8, Vancouver)
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

I'm afraid I'm going to disagree, Kaillean. Spending over a thousand bucks on a rental is just plain poor judgment. AT exists to make you spend money, at least it does now, although it wasn't like that when Maxwell started it.

• Mackenzie M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone, I will remove the contact paper. However what type of pulls would look good? I liked your suggestion Mrs S with the silver or gold.. but which one? I am so bad at designing I wouldn't even know what type of pulls to choose

• Kaillean (zone 8, Vancouver)
    6 years ago

@writersblock Who said anything about spending $1000? There are lots on there for less money and looking to get ideas is free. In any event, I’ve probably spent that kind of money on a rental before. Worth it to make a place that gives you joy everyday. People spend that much on new gadgets like iPhones all the time. Priorities.

Mackenzie M thanked Kaillean (zone 8, Vancouver)
  • mjlb
    6 years ago

Writersblock - couldn't agree more about Apartment Therapy (even though I suggested McKensie visit the site for inspiration). The original AT was well, ORIGINAL, and less commercial. Now, you can easily anticipate what the cures will be - not that different from what you might find on Houzz, and often quite expensive. AT used to have soul, but rarely now.

Mackenzie M thanked mjlb
  • Mrs. S
    6 years ago

I would measure carefully and head to Home Depot/Lowe's. If you don't have a "standard" size, check out myknobs.com or similar website. Many pulls in the $3-$4 category, with all sizes. pay attention to whether the pulls you buy will cover up any sort of indentation/wear underneath those old pulls. Pulls usually have some diameter (the "foot" of the pull) around where they attach to the cabinet. There are SO MANY different types of pulls. My personal favorites are like those I showed pictures of--they are sort of "beefy" and not too severely modern nor too old-fashioned (imho). But it really is what you like! Shiny? Burnished? I think either will complement the black hinges, which are spray-paintable by the way, but that would probably be a big pita. I think it's fine to leave them black.

• rockybird
    6 years ago

I would do cabinet handles that blend in with the cabinetry - darker I guess. You dont want anything to pop against the cabinets and draw attn. to them. But I personally wouldnt change the handles. I might be in the minority, but I dont think this kitchen is so terrible. I lived in worse when I was younger.

Mackenzie M thanked rockybird
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    6 years ago

I just have to share this. My sister and I, together, bought a tiny 900SF house in 1984 when I was 20 years old and she was 21. It was cheaper than renting! The house payment was only about $200 a month...and we each paid half. The kitchen was c. 1960 partial overlay laminate with white wood grain. My sister and I painted them! With something at the time called "FLECKSTONE" spray paint from the hardware store. It was hard work and time consuming but the cabinets looked pretty cool when it was all done (for 1984). We changed out the hinges to be shiny polished chrome and added large round chrome knobs. Then we had black laminate tops made. We were young and having fun with decor...and it was ours! And that finish was indestructible! I wish I had a better picture of it...but it was certainly 1980s black and chrome Glam! Over the island we hung an uber modern glass pendant that looks like a UFO. We did it all on a tiny budget, had fun and worked hard....great memories. Here's a photo of me about 10 years after we did it (c. 1994) at a late night PARTY! lol

Mackenzie M thanked The Kitchen Place
  • suezbell
    6 years ago

If you really hate these cabinets (understanding and sympathy extended), something you might try is adding a shelving board to front of the cabinet doors and new hardware atop that board. Do some measuring. Lowes would probably cut the length of the boards for you if you didn't want to invest in a small saw. You could sand and then stain or paint -- finish -- the boards any way you want and affix them to the doors via small deck screws through the inside the existing doors. I'd recommend you invest in a hammer and awl to start the holes and a battery screw driver to insert the screws. You could use clamps or you may need help holding the boards in place.

You could try it with the small doors above the stove and sink first.

Mackenzie M thanked suezbell
  • anne dee
    6 years ago

you might need to consider matching the kitchen door/cabinet/drawer handles with the hinges should you decide to update the hardware.

• J Corn
    6 years ago

Since it's a kitchen and things can spill or drip or splatter, consider a Chilewich rug. They're durable and great with moisture. You just shake them outside, indoor/outdoor flooring . Here's the web page and here's a photo of one we're using to jazz up a basically neutral bathroom ( we hung the art on the wall, this is before we did) . If bright colors don't appeal, they have lots of of neutral mixes.Anyway, they're a practical choice for a kitchen yet still attractive...at least, I think so..

https://www.chilewich.com/store/floor/shag_indooroutdoor_floormats?ref=tertiary-nav#

Mackenzie M thanked J Corn
  • tatts
    6 years ago

If you put holes in those doors, as suezbell suggested, and the landlord doesn't like what you have done, you are out big bucks when you leave. If he decides that what you have done doesn't meet his standards (they are his property, not yours), he can charge you.

Leave the cabinets alone!!! (except for handles that fit existing holes)

The biggest problem in that kitchen is not the cabinets, it's that ghastly light in the center of the room casting harsh, flat light on everything and making harsh shadows.

Want to make it look nicer? Go to Ikea and buy inexpensive plug-in under-cabinet lighting and use it instead of the overhead light.

Mackenzie M thanked tatts
  • Olga Kramar
    6 years ago
    It’s an apartment; leave it in the condition in which you found it. Spend your hard earned dollars on furnishings and decor you can take with you. Kitchen towels, or a stand mixer if you bake, or a high-end toaster, or blender or whatever items you will enjoy using frequently, all can go with you and are a much better investment than improving someone else’s property. A high-quality oriental rug in a dark pattern would be stunning. It can be sent out for cleaning, and will last you decades. Spend the money on a higher-quality sofa, better cookware, nicer dishes, things that you enjoy every day, and can go with you into future spaces.
    Mackenzie M thanked Olga Kramar
  • anne dee
    6 years ago

here's a dilemma discussion from a few years ago. It could be relevant to your original post.

check out my ideabooks category OP discussion.

Might help

• Mackenzie M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Will get a matt this weekend. Organized the blue and red colours... I still feel something is off :(

• Pugga70
    6 years ago

Your kitchen has improved since you added a splash of colour. Once a rug is added, it should look even better. If possible, add a little artwork in the nook over the sink that would pick up the colours that you are using in the kitchen. Don't forget to post updates!!

Mackenzie M thanked Pugga70
  • Lila
    6 years ago

I would paint the backsplash and maybe stencil it to add some interest.

• rockybird
    6 years ago

It looks better. I feel like it needs something in the area below. Maybe in yellow? I dont know if lemons would work as they get old, but a pop of yellow might be nice. It also needs a rug. Also, instead of a backsplash you could hang a print or painting.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    6 years ago

As someone who owned a rental property for years, I can tell you that if one of my tenants screwed or nailed anything to cabinets or did an amateur paint job on them, or painted a range hood with a spray can, I would have been very unhappy. I expected tenants to leave the apartment in the same condition in which they found it, except for normal wear and tear due to reasonably careful use.