SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

What defines an updated space?

This is not a specific question about a particular room; it's a thought exercise inspired by some of the recent threads.

Could an updated space retain dated furniture and still be considered updated? What are the elements of an update?

Color? Layout? Furniture? Style?

When one updates with dated/not classic decor are they creating the eclectic look?

Seems like not updating at all is best for the environment. What would be the next best, and what makes it successful?

Comments (30)

• tartanmeup
    6 years ago

Great question, melle and great answer, d_gw.

I like the idea of rooms with timeless appeal but fear it's not easy to achieve when we immerse ourselves in decor and visual stimuli. Our eye ends up craving something different after a while, I think.

• Related Discussions

Can you define what style this is?

Q

Comments (10)
    Here's a definition you might find useful: "The transitional color palette consists of a lack of color to produce a clean and tranquil atmosphere. The most common colors that are used for transitional furniture include white, black, beige, brown, tan, and taupe. Accessories that complement transitional furniture are simple. An example is the use of white mats in picture frames that are plain black and silver frames. Since the lack of color is part of this style, it makes room for interesting textures, like a green colored corduroy couch and an off-white cotton material used on two of the side chairs. Other options for a transitional space are soft microfiber, leather, and chenille materials." Transitional lighting utilizes metals like steel and iron, and the shapes are curved. As you can see, transitional furniture is a harmonic blend of styles that can be adapted to an individualÂs preference. The key aspects to transitional furniture are comfort and practicality, with many pieces of furniture manufactured to meet the demands of an active household. The types of materials found in this type of furniture are metal and glass, but also elegant and sophisticated fabrics." Personally, I would add greys and warm greens (sage and olive) to the color palette mentioned here. I think the key to Transitional style is serenity. Lines are horizontal, almost Asian... there are no ruffles, flowery patterns, no lace. It can be a fairly "masculine" style, if you'll pardon the term.
    ...See More

"black slacks"...what is your defination??

Q

Comments (55)
    Proper professional dress was part of the curriculum or at least class discussion when my daughter was in college getting her degree. I recall her telling me about it. This was in the 90's. My kids held part time jobs from the age of 14. They learned the rules, how to dress for respective jobs and what was required to keep it. They learned through trial and error. I remember DS going to a big computer show when he was still in high school. He was invited to a "jackets for gentlemen required" affair while he was there. He had to go shopping. Came home with a bright gold jacket that made him look like a real estate guy for 21st century. LOL But he did choose a very nice belt and loafers. That was his entrance into learning how to dress for success. He became very adept at cleaning up well when required. Life skills. Sadly I see a pattern here with the poster's children and jobs and life skills in general. DS wanted to bend the rules on attendance and now DD wants to bend the rules on attire. Doesn't bode well for any good career opportunities in their futures. It's time to let them go and sink or swim. Not going to learn a thing if mom steps in to save the day.
    ...See More

defining functional spaces

Q

Comments (34)
    Amanda, thanks for your input. Just curious are you referring to the coffee table or the sofa table? The sofa table is really a desk and is there temporarily. The sofa is what it is. It wasn’t bought for the space and money is tight. I’m trying to make it work.
    ...See More

define : what is good planning in a vegetable garden?

Q

Comments (13)
    Good planning in a vegetable garden? Top of the list for me > I have a 3 season veggie garden here so all planting times are critical of which I have created my own planting calendar for each season adapted to my specific location (central Va). As mentioned above an overlapping of seasonal veggies (expansional space saving) helps with maintaining the growing areas as the early crops are harvested and the later crops spread out over the vacated space (example : as early bolting spinach is pulled, a summer vining crop moves in). Of course a lot depends on what you like to grow (I like to grow everything possible), having an open full sunny area, adequate fertile soil, a dependable water source, the time and effort to weed, deter pests, fight diseases, and the patience to see it though to the end (here that would be from March thru Nov).
    ...See More
  • DLM2000-GW
    6 years ago

I like this melle - you're making me think about what makes MY spaces feel updated. Few of us are in a position to start from scratch on a whim or for that matter few of us have the desire to do that. Working with what you have and making small, impactful changes is simply reality for most of us.

Agree 100% with d_gw that a good cleaning and de-cluttering is the biggest bang with no investment other than time. Rearranging furniture is another way to freshen a room and thinking outside the box of where pieces are currently used opens up the rearranging even further. That's one of the reasons I'm so drawn to pieces like small cabinets and chests, benches, console tables - they are useful in any room of a house and moving them around is an instant update. Fresh paint on the walls and/or trim is not free but the impact is huge and if there's a color change involved the sense of 'new' is amplified exponentially.

I love looking online,through magazines and catalogs and occasionally in actual stores for inspiration and sometimes will make a very specific purchase as a result. But more often it's a jumping off point for me, an idea is sparked and then I'm on the hunt. With a goal of loosely imitating instead of copying I'm free to hit consignment, resale, house sales for things to work with and make my own with refinishing, painting, fabric or sometimes just a good cleaning.

That's a rather long answer to your initial question of What Defines An Updated Space? but updated is best judged by the eye and perception of those who live in and use the space. We have a wealth of talented eyes here to help us get unstuck without the necessity of starting from scratch.

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    6 years ago

When we update our showrooms, typically we put in new furniture, but sometimes we just reupholster furniture with new fabrics. Showrooms are not houses, but you said "spaces" and showrooms have spaces.

I don't worry about updating my house, but I do move paintings around and occasionally rearrange furniture and accessories. The bed frame in my bedroom is from 1990, and I am happy with it still. I have changed the drapes at the patio door several times, but I have one of the old drapes still in storage. I used to change bedspreads seasonally, but now that we have central A/C, I have not been doing that. I have a lot of fabric, and so I frequently make new covers for throw pillows. We recently repainted the outside wood portion of our house, and so I decided to change the color, since we were painting anyway - otherwise I would have left it the same, but I'm happier with the new color. I want to repaint the dining room and hall but have not yet committed to a new color for those spaces. The main update I did to my kitchen (besides appliances) was to put in a new countertop, and I chose one that was similar in color to the old one. It wasn't the color that bothered me - it was the fact that it was granite tile with grout, and the grout bothered me. Cooking is much easier for me now with the solid quartz countertop, as I can use it for rolling out or kneading dough.

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

To me, "update" does not equal new or contemporary.

It just means different from what it is now. A fresher look.

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

The way I understand your question it's not how can you update a place, but rather, what makes it "updated", or how do you know it's "updated"?

I'd say it's context, by which I mean, if you keep "old" elements, be they furniture, paint color, accessories, other elements will need to be renewed, and since we're talking updating, i.e. bringing the room up-to-date, those other elements will have to be reflective of what's current in decor.

Moreover, the "updated" elements have to be making enough of an impact to recontextualize the old stuff, otherwise it's just an unsuccessful attempt at updating. And, people may disagree what's updating and what's still dated.

For example, I may thing replacing, say, Queen Anne chairs with linen slip covered parson chairs around the Queen Anne table is updating; but someone else (younger) considers that just as dated.

• erinsean
    6 years ago

Around 25 years ago, we bought new upholstered pieces..i.e. couch, recliners. All are skirted and now the newer furniture I like are not skirted and I like legs showing, but can't go out and buy new so have to make do with what I have. My house is carpeted and I would not change that.....have had hardwood floors and they are a pita to keep looking nice and polished and dusted. Yes, I agree with rearranging, getting rid of clutter, keeping your house clean and even painting if the walls need it, are the best way to "update" your house. I haunt garage sales, thrift stores, estate sales for new little accent tables to update things. And every spring I go though and declutter....odd how "things" accumulate...!!! Funny how the grands walk in and said "Grandma, you have changed this around...I like it."

• Patrick Blackmon (8a)
    6 years ago

I know this sounds weird, but very high on my list of priorities is an updated, efficient toilet. It's the first thing I replaced in my current home, and will be among the first updates in the townhouse I just closed on. I only use one particular model, and put it in every bathroom. I also use the exact same bathroom fan - it's low profile and does the job quietly and efficiently.

I'm also a stickler for updated, energy efficient lighting. I like for all of my outlets and switches to be new, and they must match throughout the house. And screwless wall plates. All electrical should be easy to reach and safe, with no cords running across passageways.

Rounding out my list is fresh paint, updated kitchen and bath faucets, and well cared for plants that accentuate the space and thrive in their environment. Doors should be spotless and free of smudges and marks. I repainted my current front door a few days ago.

One last thing, I am almost obsessive that my pictures and art hanging on the wall are 58" on center.

• pricklypearcactus
    6 years ago

I agree with the comments about de-cluttering. I also think that if everything in a space is easy to pinpoint of a bygone era, it tends to look "dated" because you can clearly identify a general date (70s, 50s, 90s) for the space as a whole. If a space contains items from multiple eras or ideally some from the current era, I feel like the space looks more "updated".

• tartanmeup
    6 years ago

Doesn't sound weird, Patrick. Sounds as though you've identified certain "comfort elements" for yourself and set your standards. I've never even heard of screwless wall plates before. I'm intrigued. Brand?

Do you change all your doorknobs as well? A neighbour suggested that as an update when we painted.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

There are many very good comments here and I agree with all of them. For me updating very often means rearranging paintings and my porcelain collection, but recently I've also bought new bedding and new rugs, some of which I've placed on the wall-to-wall carpets I have in part of the house. I've changed the positions of the soft furniture in the living room and that kept me satisfied for a while. I finally replaced an old skirted loveseat that I bought used years ago with a new and sleeker model that was very reasonably priced and about which most of the reviews stated that it looked much more expensive than it was, which was true. I placed a new hand-knotted rug over an old one that had been used as a scratching post and which was a bargain buy for good reason. New pillows or pillow covers and that's about it. I've seen "updated" kitchens here where practically everything was ripped out, even perfectly good granite, which now is considered "dated", and that I do consider a waste of resources and more stuff that the landfills don't need. If you haven't seen the non-tourist side of third world countries you can't even begin to understand how wasteful and spoiled we are here.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

Patrick hit the nail on the head for me, updated means the latest in technology. The newest toilets if those have improved and the latest appliances are things I consider updating. Furniture and finishes are part of interior decoration and those are not subject to updating, but rather to evolution as they wear out and need to be mended/changed. Of course I once lived in a house with this awful plasticky "brass" finishes everywhere. Changing things like that out to either a classic version or heaven forfend a trendy version, would be a part of updating for me.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

PS Just read Ingrid's comment. Ingrid's first part reminds me of what I consider refreshing a space, which is part of my evolutionary trajectory. Updating for me is more about the parts of the house that do not move with you.

• arcy_gw
    6 years ago

I am with Rita. Updating is not spring cleaning--which is what I am hearing described. We have made a few "updates". Out with the avocado fixtures in the bathroom and in with the white tile. Out with the harvest gold kitchen appliances and in with almond (no way SS EVER). Out with the laminate flooring and in with vinyl planks. Colors date/update. The peaches of the 80's have been replaced with greens. When I want a pick me up update I will get new throw pillows with "today's" patterns or colors. New shades on lamps gave a small, quick update. We painted dark, heavy, rough wainscotting paneling in the basement. Took it from the 70's to this century with only FIVE COATS of paint. We have swapped out most of the light fixtures to ones made this century. That makes a huge impact. My thoughts early this morning were outside. What updates can I make to my landscaping to impact my homes curb appeal--bring it into this century, but that is a question for a different thread.

• deegw
    6 years ago

I do think cleaning/rearranging/decluttering is relevant to the discussion. If the space looks fresh, updates may not be necessary.

I remember someone posting an eat in kitchen with tons of decorative objects, heavy valances and a table, chairs and hutch all crammed into the breakfast area. She asked for advice about painting, counters and purchasing a new table and chairs.

It was suggested that she heavily edit the decor and reduce the number of chairs around the table from 6 to 4. After she did that, she realized that she didn't need anything new for the space.

• Anna S
    6 years ago
    I just read this and found it provocative. Doesn’t directly answer your question, but...

https://www.curbed.com/2018/3/7/17087588/home-renovation-unnecessary-mcmansion-hell-wagner
  • Indigo Rose
    6 years ago

I was thinking along the lines of what d_gw said. I can think of various rooms people have posted which give a "dated" appearance due to ponderous window treatments, no matter what's going on with the rest of the room. Removing swags, pouffery, heavy layers etc. of fabric does more than refresh, it updates.

• User
    6 years ago

A, can I blame the internet? We have become a nation addicted to instant gratification...we want change and we want it now.

It's very sad.

As an aside, I'm not enjoying all of the "new" that I see here...sometimes it's warranted, but I detest the posts encouraging folks to get rid of stuff when those things are perfectly serviceable and WILL work with what you have. Imperfection is lovely. (Plus I hate waste)

Arcy, I'm completely coveting avocado appliances atm....

• Patrick Blackmon (8a)
    6 years ago

suzmtl - I order them in the correct quantities online, so that I know I'll have enough and not have go back and forth to the big box stores (which carry them as well). Lutron is the brand I think. They have a backing plate that screws into the switch, then you place the "screwless" cover over that and snap it into place. It's just a very inexpensive way to update and clean up the look of the walls.

It's so interesting you mentioned new door knobs, as I was just thinking about that yesterday for the new place. Great idea.

• tartanmeup
    6 years ago

Thanks, Patrick. I like this idea. I'll look into it.

• caligirl5
    6 years ago

To me updated means new...but I don't think not updated is bad. I read the curbed article about renovations and have been looking at some real estate listings. I think I could live with any of the dated finishes if the kitchens just had some nice big drawers!

Also "updated" in real estate listings seems to mean "likely to be dated quite soon because PO slapped every surface with the latest fads".

• lazy_gardens
    6 years ago

There is "updating" from an infrastructure viewpoint, where you replace or supplement attached components that no longer match the needs of the building's current use or that are worn out. Plumbing, wiring, HVAC, flooring, lighting, doors, windows, cabinets ... the built in stuff. That is renovation, or remodeling if you move walls and alter openings and utility locations.

And there is replacing furniture that is worn out or no longer suits the needs of the occupants and repurposing a room or rooms. Bedroom <> Office is common.

And the last is replacing furnishings and decor because they are no longer stylish or because you are bored with them.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Great ideas everyone! I love all the ideas you've shared, it's really interesting to consider all the perspectives of "updated".

I'd like to see more designs where more pieces are retained but somehow seem fresh at the same time. maybe it isn't possible?

• tartanmeup
    6 years ago

Au contraire, melle_sacto, Lori Ward says it's quite possible: Use What You Have Decorating.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

For me, my updated space is this. My house is from 1965, and has questionable electric and plumbing that failed and an HVAC system and insulation that was inadequate.

95% of the plumbing was completely replaced, the HVAC was completely reworked, and there are only a few old ducts remaining, the roofs are new, the house will be insulated, and the interior will have essentially been gutted when all is said and done.

And when it's all put back together, every finish, every architectural element that's in it will look like it just possibly could be from 1965. It won't necessarily fool people that it is actually all original, but it won't look like it obviously is not. The infrastructure will be completely updated. The design will not.

• mojomom
    6 years ago

In our new house, everything is updated (but not all furniture is new). However, in our old 1937 cape, updating came about by new lighting, refinishing tired floors, bedroom drapes, bedding new carpet and paint. I rarely felt the need to update with new furniture. We tended to do some updating every few years, so not everything at once except for the last time when we knew we would be selling in a few years and also had a heavy entertaining schedule coming up -- big wedding party, etc.

• grapefruit1_ar
    6 years ago

Oh, so it does not mean getting a gray/white kitchen, gray sectional, gray floors, and gray walls? I would not have guessed that from reading most of the posts that appear.

• Debbie Downer
    6 years ago

Just do whatcha wanna. When your tastes change, when youre tired of the same old same old, just change it. However, whatever. Doesnt need to mean anything more than that.

Since a lot of my furniture is antique and/or repurposed, "dated" as a perjorative is not in my vocabulary. I might get tired of things though and lately Ive been wanting a new (as in brand new) sofa but not because someone else is telling me I shoud want it. Its all about creating a cozy, homey nest for myself, a refuge from the world, and how I feel in it - a big new cushy sofa (the kind you can sprawl out on and watch a movie) would help in this regard..

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

Interesting question, melle.

Is something like a piece of furniture dated because it's older, or is it dated because it's no longer trendy?

Some would consider updating a Tuscan-style stone backsplash with white subway tiles would be an update, but that Tuscan-style stone backsplash itself may have replaced a plain white subway tile backsplash from the 1920s. Same with the 1920s hex tiles on the bathroom floor in the apartment I grew up in -- in the seventies they weren't popular or trendy, but in another several decades they certainly were : ) .

I think a lot of what's considered dated or updated is the result of trends, and they're cyclical. If you wait long enough, things that are out will come back into style, and anything in style now will go out.

One thing to consider is a person's tolerance for living with items that all of a sudden are considered -- arbitrarily and by external forces such as shelter magazine editors (admittedly not as much of a force as they were previously), the powers that be at Pantone and HGTV, and the groundswell (organic or not) of Pinterest followers all of sudden consumed by Joanna Gaines's farmhouse modern aesthetic -- "out" and dated. And a person's willingness to replace those so-called dated items with the so-called updated, hot, and trendy items suggested by manufacturers, trade associations, media, and social media.

There's also the homeowner's personality. Some, and it seems to be a growing number, are influenced by the latest trends, however arbitrary. Others have a style they like regardless of trend. And while I am definitely in the second camp, for better or worse, some in that group can tend toward more "fussy" interiors, and this can be seen at various levels of interior design, high and low. To me the most visible form of this is valances and other ornate window treatments (pelmets, swags, etc), instead of just simple curtain panels; though occasionally a less fussy version of a valance can look great.

• Debbie Downer
    6 years ago

So who is the ultimate arbiter of "dated" vs "not dated."

There is no one person or authority. So IMHO, that makes it just a meaningless consideration and it just boils down to what you like and what you DONT like. Now, it may be that you dont like it because you THINK its dated, but that's just an opinion.... that's all it is. Its certainly valid to have any sort opinion or preference when decorating .... but its just an opinion, its not any kind of ultimate truth.

You can now find joanna gaines style whitewash fake shiplap wood panelling in Menards. One person seeing that is going to think "wow, thats great, thats the latest hip thing - I want to do my whole house in fake whitewash shiplap!"}

While someone else will see that and go, how dated, stick a fork in it already!