SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keen10138

Grow List 2018

Starting a list of planned plantings this year. I'm starting with peas. May come back and do a post for beans. I had a major bean failure with the beans i like the most in 2017, so that stunk. Feel free to jump in with your lists as well.

So here is my tentative pea growing list. Space is of concern so i figured i can reasonably plant 10-12 varieties. But looks like i'm pushing that to 14. The rest will not be grown unless i have room. They are more or less in preferential order by priority. Since i do not have many varieties with highly wrinkled seeds, and since highly wrinkled seeds corelate to one form of sugar genes i have separated out only the most highly wrinkled for three populations.

One is from the unknowns that got all mixed up when sorting last fall. These could be anything really, but probably have some Opal Creek and some snap peas as those have generally had the most white and wrinkled seeds. Then i separated out the population i have been calling "Joseph's yellows" into basically highly wrinkled seeds, snap shaped seeds (bullet shaped and flat seeds), and the rest. I am planning on only planting the highly wrinkled seeds and am hoping for some really good yellow snow peas. Good Yellow snap peas would be fine as well and any yellow snap peas from this population are bound to be better than Opal Creek. Then i also did the same with the "purples", a population that is mostly Sugar Magnolia, some purple-pod parsley, some residual Midnight Snow (bred by Dan Quickert of Purplepeas.net), and some potential mixed in red-podded peas or partially-red podded peas from mis-identification. These had very few snap shaped seeds so i only really separated into most-wrinkled seeds and others. I'm actually hoping some of these are Midnight Snow. I'm also hoping to recover only hyper-tendrilled plants for those that are Sugar Magnolia as my original population had all types. But regardless i figure the most wrinkled seeded ones might taste the best. So seems like a good idea. Trying to grow so many pea varieties with limited space is tough, so just have to prioritize this year. Last year was a good year for seed multiplication.

Nap Gene (potential open keel trait)*

Wrinkled Seeds (selected from unknowns)*

Biskopen's Hybrids*

Purple Passion hybrid*

Joseph's Red-Podded*

Josdeph's Yellow-Podded (most wrinkled seeds)*

Purples (most wrinkled seeds)*

Joni's Taxi*

Jupiter*

Heavily-Branched*

Orange-Pod*

Mighty Midget*

Large Podded*

True Mummy's (including a purple-pod crown pea, and a red-seed crown pea)*

Delta Dusk

Heather

unknown mottled (maple seed coat)

orange coteleydons

Pink Flowered Yellow Snow (golden sweet? from ethin)

Triple Treat

[s]Dwarf Gray Sugar[/s]

[s]Biskopen's[/s]

[s]purple passion[/s]

Comments (7)

Sponsored