SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emily_robinson8400475

Help me finish young family great room

Emily Robinson
6 years ago
I can’t seem to finish our great room, please help! I need new rug/rugs, wall hangings, coffee/side tables, lamps and possibly curtains. I need help deciding on a cohesive look that is fresh and young.

The tile is dark beige with yellow undertones. It cannot be replaced at the moment. Walls are Edgecomb grey. Sofa and chairs are new- they stay. Side tables and sofa tables need replacement- I think the color clashes with the leather chairs. Mantle and accent pieces can go. The desk in the TV alcove will eventually be replaced with floating shelves. This space is open to the dining area and kitchen. Kitchen has dark cabinetry with yellowish/brown countertops. Kitchen has industrial gold pendants and I would like to continue with pops of gold throughout.

I would love a bold statement rug and am drawn to the geometric Hamadan look rugs (I’m talking imitation, synthetics here) I have seen some in red on overstock, but I worry it would suck up all the light in the room. With small kids and dogs, I am on a tight rug budget. Does the 2 rug look work (they are 6x9 and 5x7) or would one really large rug be better? I also like the idea of neutrals/whites with pops of gold, but worry that might not work with the cream sofas. Suggestions for coffee and side tables? Curtain panels on the ends to soften the window? Lighting?

Thanks!

Comments (32)