Where does one start to locate care givers? I'm half serious.

albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.

We have outlived family and friends. Really, someone has to be the last to go. So to start I set down and key in Google and then what?

SaveComment7Like
Comments (7)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

You're in Canada, right? I can only tell you what is available here, but maybe you'll find something similar. The County has a dept of Aging and Adult Services within the Health Dept. They are the people to counsel. and have lists of caregivers. Start with the local equivalent dept where you live. Good luck. I understand your frustrations.

Save     Thanked by albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.

That was quick and easy. I Googled ''Aging and Adult Services'' from reply above and the first ghit was right near here. Google is sometimes good at that. Now I have to ponder this a bit. Thanks.

Save    
sushipup1

Glad to help!

Save    
maifleur01

You stated "We" which could mean a spouse, partner, or just friend living in the same household. I do not know about Canada but when you visit with the people ask if Canada has something similar to the US's Spousal Impoverishment rule. If they do ask for the information. If more people in the US knew about it they might worry less about how they would handle things if one or the other spouse needs to go into long term care.

Save    
dowlinggram

I live in Ontario and we were alone too. We do have a son but he doesn't live close to us. I never pondered what to do like you but when my husband was in the position that we needed a caregiver everything fell into place. He was sick for a couple of years before we needed anyone but he was mobile. Some things he did for himself and some things he needed help with but we managed OK. He could still be left alone so my life was not disrupted much. Then he had a fall and ended up in the hospital and that's when I was offered many community services. I knew from then on he could not be left alone so I jumped at their offers. Home care offered me 8 hours a week of respite care. Because he had slight dementia the Alzheimer's society offered an additional 6 hours. I could have had more but I would have had to pay for it. The Red Cross offered it's Seniors Ride program which I still access for my own use. Because he was still mobile with a walker I was able to manage his personal care and used the respite care for errands and pursuing my own activities. I sponge bathed him daily and the home care worker gave him a bath when she was there for home care. We managed that way for a year until he ended up in hospital again and that's where he passed away.

I know there must be other services available that we didn't need and you are wise to find them now.

1 Like Save    
Meg O'Connor

My best resource for my parents was asking colleagues and friends who they might have used in the past. If you are a member of a church, clergy might be familiar with local agencies. If you can swing it, I found private agencies to be better than public. There are some agencies who specialize in employing women and men from a certain country. My parents really enjoyed all the Irish women from a private agency.

Save    
Mrs. S

We have Nextdoor where we live (So. Cal.). Do you have that there? It's a website/online forum only for your community (you designate which neighborhoods around you that you are interested in). It is a fantastic resource, to be able to post questions for neighbors within a mile or 2 radius, and get ideas for caregivers, or any other thing your neighbors might need or be able to provide.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life What I Learned About Moving a Loved One to a Retirement Home
Setting up an elderly family member’s apartment in an assisted-care facility is a labor of love for this Houzz writer
Full Story
Laundry Rooms Where Can I Hide My Laundry Area?
It’s a case of now you see it, now you don’t with these 10 clever ways of fitting in a laundry zone
Full Story