SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kris_dow

Master bath ‘spa’ shower/tub or just shower?

KD
6 years ago

Still trying to work out what we’d need to do in a house that we could renovate but that needs lots of updating. Currently it has one of those 70s Sink-in-a-nook off the bedroom, bath and toilet to one side, closet to the other arrangements. Not sure if we want to close that off, though - it is nice that there is sink access even if someone is using the toilet. We’d at least somewhat screen the sink from view from the bed, if not actually redo the whole space.

My current dilemma is that even if we redo the space, I don’t think it‘s large enough to add a stand-alone bathtub unless we give up the walk-in closet and just have wardrobes in the bedroom. Which I’m not sure about for eventual resale (like 10 years) - would no closet at all in a master be a big problem? Assuming we keep the closet, I do want the bathroom to have more of a relaxing ‘spa’ feel. The most common renovations I’ve seen that seem to achieve that are the ones that replace the tub with just a shower. The thing is, I do take baths. I have autoimmune arthritis that sometimes gets pretty much everything from muscles and tendons to joints hurting, and a nice bath helps a lot. There is a bath in the main bathroom on the floor also, but going to the shared bathroom for a relaxing bath doesn’t seem as luxurious and relaxing? (Also that bathroom will be used by a teenager and I don’t want to have to scrub it down with bleach right before a bath every time. But I doubt he’ll keep it as clean as I’d want.)

So do I estimate for changing the tub to a shower, or can you make a shower-over-tub feel luxurious and spa like and not cramped as a shower? Or do we plan to ditch the closet and have a completely rearranged long narrow bathroom? (I don’t have exact measurements but it would probably be maybe 5’ x 17’ if my guesses based on the last time I was in the house are in the ballpark of accurate. Window on one end which is currently in the walk-in closet. The toilet/bath room is a little cave. I was thinking of seeing about having a skylight added whenever the roof is next redone.)

Comments (14)