SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Master Bath: Shower only or tub/shower combo?

Stacey Collins
14 years ago

Well, a major mold infestation has necessitated we gut the master bathroom sooner than we planned (we're not even done with the massive kitchen/LR/DR renovation yet!). It's a bummer because we're out of funds so this is going to have to be a low-budget, completely DIY renovation (but still look great and work well, of course!)

The bathroom is an addition from the 80's. It is big enough to feel quite spacious to those of us used to old homes... but just a little too small to happily accomodate both a free-standing soaking tub AND a nice big tiled shower.

Considerations:

1) Resale. This may be a 2-3 year house for us if the market improves. This will be for a pretty high-end market, even though it's a very small house.

2) Our lifestyle. We take showers 97% of the time. While I would love a soaking tub, I'd personally choose a more luxurious shower for our use.

3) Room size: The bathroom measures about 13' x 6.5'. The toilet must remain basically in the same area. Can't move the walls. I just don't see how we could shoehorn both a free-standing soaking tub AND a decent-sized shower stall AND two sinks into the space. Do you?

4) Budget. We can afford to do a carefully budgeted, DIY tiled shower, OR a tub/shower combo with a tiled surround. MAYBE we could find an older freestanding (clawfoot or similar) tub -if one would fit- but cerainly not one of the new Kohler short tubs or japanese soaking tubs (much as I would LOVE that!)

5) The other bathroom. It's used by guests and by our teenage daughter (unfortunate combo, I know.) It is TINY. if we can't fit a tub in the master bath, it will have to have a standard tub/shower like it does now. We know we need at least one tub in the house for resale.

So can any of you layout geniuses figure how to fit both tub AND shower?

if not--- and we have to choose--- should it be a standard tub-shower combo with a shower curtain, or a nice tiled shower with a frameless (or semi frameless) glass door?

Thoughts?

Here's the house layout with the current master bath layout (shower is too small!). One floor only. It would probably never be used as more than 2 bedrooms (though the little office could be a nursery I suppose.)master bath is in the upper right (NE) corner.

Comments (7)