SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elinoree

HELP! Furniture Layout for Basement Living Room with Fireplace and TV?

elinoree
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We are new homeowners (pardon the bareness and mess) and have this basement TV room which seems like it should be cozy and home theater/living room amazing, but it just feels like a garage. We just have a couple of pieces in it now to make it livable, but we can purchase the exact furniture and trimmings for this space to make it just right. The big chair is the only thing that we want to keep. However, it is a very strange, nook ridden, long, low ceiling 7', narrow room with one entrance, and I just can't figure it out. We love building a fire in the fireplace and watching a movie, that's the main activity for this room, so having two separate areas for the fireplace and the TV doesn't feel right. We like entertaining, so extra seating is welcome.

The previous owner was a contractor and built a specific nook for the TV (a big box style TV from the early 90s I'd imagine), however, this means that the TV is pretty much stuck being in that corner, unless I were to block out the nook with a tapestry or whatnot, but I would want a good reason to do that. It is currently on an arm swivel installed into the wall, and I was going to put tapestry style curtains on the wall to cover the old holes for the old speakers.

The little nook between the fireplace and the TV has become the wood storage and makes sense for that, so that at least, is taken care of. Whew!

Any ideas are welcome!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022