SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Anyone else still affected by Nor’Easter ?

dedtired
6 years ago

I’m sitting here in the dark. Power went out yesterday and the estimated return is midnight on Monday. I’m in the kitchen with the oven burners blasting. Not the safest thing but it beats freezing. In addition my landline is out and cell service is spotty. There are enormous trees and wires down everywhere. Numerous cars damaged and I’ve seen two houses with trees that fell on them. I am being driven crazy by the sound of generators, although I am definitely getting one. This is the second time I’ve been through days-long outages and I’ve had enough. Thank goodness for my cell phone. Anyone else?

Comments (54)

• gsciencechick
    6 years ago

I'm sorry to hear this. We are far enough south in the Carolinas that it really didn't affect us. We had some heavy rains and storms the other day as a cold front came through, but that was it.

I went to the first day of a spring farmers market today. My colleague who is the farmers market manager is trying this out, and it was a huge success!

• Related Discussions

Kentuck or anyone else who has experience...

Q

Comments (4)
    How long will they need this shade? Not sure in your area. Mine are still in the shade, but my understanding is that it needs shade until it reaches large size and/or gets it's roots/rhizomes well established. At this time, the bamboo itself shades the ground, keeping it cooler. It may be that the ground needs shade more so than the culms...not sure though. We have temps here in the 100's also, but mostly mid to upper 90's. They're almost 30 years old and from what I've read they've already well exceeded their expected useful life. If you trim the trees carefully, and a small amount each year, they can live much longer than 30 years. Will it still be necessary to give them shade at this point? You may try removing the shade and see what happens. Keep a close eye on it though. If it starts to look unhealthy, immediately recover it. It won't die over night, but you may set it back if the heat does start to harm it. The close-up of the variegated leaves looks like my D. asper, which gets the purple culm sheaths and variegated leaves usually early in the year, but go away by Summer. Not sure about them burning more easily. My asper's variegated leaves never get sun burned. How much direct sun does it get(hours daily)? Kt
    ...See More

blue Hydrangea still green here, anyone else?

Q

Comments (2)
    THanks, I googled "hydrangea" and found the answer. I copied the info: "In acid soil the blooms will be blue, pink flowers in alkaline soil, and white in neutral. The flower colors may be controlled by adding aluminum sulfate to the soil prior to budding to produce or keep blue flowers; or by liming or adding quantities of superphosphate to the soil to produce the pink ones." I'd like to add my 2-cents worth to say that the drought has adversely affected things in a big way too.
    ...See More

Anyone else suffer abuses from an HOA controlled by a

Q

Comments (44)
    Although I have never lived in one (and wouldn't want to), I have dealt with any number of HOA's in my capacity as a landscape designer. I have never encountered any issues with them signing off on my designs. Once they have the plan and plant list in hand, they can easily verify that nothing will exceed any height regulations or expand rampantly. I even had one with a 'must have lawn in the front garden' reg (ridiculous when the entry garden area is not much more than 150 square feet!) that agreed to its removal and replanting. I'd try it. Often when presented with a professional design plan, they cave :-) It is true that many HOA's have boards that consist of petty despots who like to throw their weight around to feel important and that some of the regs are arbitrary at best. My ex moved into one like that after we divorced and after butting heads a few times, got himself elected to the board and made the landscaping regulation changes he wanted and thought others would appreciate as well.
    ...See More

Anyone else here heat with fuel oil?

Q

Comments (45)
    I miss the gas fireplaces in my last house. It didn't have the sound of a wood burning fire, but it was so nice waking up in the AM by the fire. I liked the convenience of switching it on and off when wanted. Our present house only has wood burning fireplaces. The one we never used and the other only once in a while. I love the warmth, but not the dragging in the wood and clean up. Camp is small (1300 sq ft) and really doesn't have the room for a fireplace :(
    ...See More
  • 4kids4us
    6 years ago

I couldn’t sleep Thursday night due to the wind. We have a picture window in our bedroom so I could see the very large tree in my backyard swaying. We had a derecho about 5-6 years ago that sheared the top of a huge tree in my backyard right off. It was 11pm at night and I was still up. I happened to be watching the news and they were warning about this severe wind headed through the area and just as I heard them talking about it, I noticed this crazy wind pick up...I raced upstairs just as the lights went out, woke up dh and the kids to move down to our basement. Dh and I had just started down the stairs when wind hit the tree came through our window -the sudden gust of our and crash slamme dour bedroom door. We had no idea what happendped as we ran for dear life downstairs. Thank God I had woken dh up - there was glass all over our bed. It also destroyed our swing set. Ever since then, i can’t sleep if it’s windy. Our power was out for five days.

With this storm, our schools closed due to the dangerous winds. Several major bridges closed in the DC area, trees were down all over. All my neighbors to the left and behind me lost power yesterday before sunrise and didn’t get it back until this evening. Ours managed to stay on until yesterday afternoon and we were lucky to get it back before lunch today, but not before the temperature inside dropped down to 55 degrees. We used to have long term power outages for years but they finally fixed our grid and now we rarely lose it. We’ve talked about getting a whole house generator but the cost is prohibitive and too many other things we need that money for at the moment. Several of my neighbors have them. My parents live 25 mins away and never lose power so we’ve always been able to stay with them during the longer outages.

I hope those of you without power are back on the grid before too long.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    6 years ago

4kids, that is quite a story! I have a huge Norway Spruce next to my house. If that thing ever comes down, my house is toast.

evidently it took hours for kids to get home from school yesterday. The buses could get through all the streets and had to make enormous detours. In some cases they took the kids to a different school and told parents to come and get them.

Sushi sounds like you got clobbered too.

Mtn, Lots of generators going but those houses have taken in family. You can’t even get a hotel room. My kitchen is 73 degrees with the burners on. I can watch tv on my phone so I’m okay.

my biggest concern is my ancient mother alone in her house in the cold and dark. She won’t leave, not that my house is any warmer other than the kitchen. I stayed there until I couldn’t stand it any more. She was bundled under three blankets with a hot water bottle and a transistor radio. Her neighborhood was particularly hard hit . When my power returns I may have to forcibly bring her here. Her range is electric so she can’t even heat water. I left a thermos of hot water for her.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

aww, Ded, I'd worry too. When I was a kid, outages were kind of fun. But They never seemed to last so long!

• maire_cate
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Oh that is awful. I'm really sorry you're going through this. Your area had much more damage than where I am in New Jersey. We had high winds and some snow mixed with rain but it didn't accumulate and didn't freeze either. I hope your mother made it through the storm without incident.

I was in Philadelphia around 8 this morning to attend the Flower Show and I was surprised at the number of trees that were still down on the side streets. Several of the smaller one-way streets were completely blocked off by trees that were laying across the roadway and sidewalk.

DD and I go every year for the Members Preview which allows us entry at 8 a.m. before it opens to the public at 11. The Convention Center was the emptiest I've ever seen it. We're used to much larger crowds but this morning we walked through all the exhibits without any hindrances. One PHS official told us that several bus tours canceled because of the storm damage.

I hope your power is restored very soon! I wish you could come and stay with us.

Maire

• User
    6 years ago

This one was not bad in my area of NJ; I was pleasantly surprised. I had made preparations outside for wind damage. With all the science, these storms are each very unique and sometimes short distance make for BIG differences. I got no snow accumulation, while people an hour north and west of me saw over a foot! That is not a typical spread for us. You guys do know that there is another nor'easter a'comin'?!

• bpath
    6 years ago

Sending warm, calm thoughts your way, wish I could do more! Well, I can pass on a tip: when our power would go out in the winter, we would put a spaghetti pot of water on the gas stove's back burner and heat it up. Close the kitchen doors, and it was quite cozy. After a bit we could turn off the gas and the pot would continue to warm the room for quite a while. Thank goodness we haven't had that bad of a power outage in the current house, since it's electric cooking.

• eld6161
    6 years ago

1,900 families lost power in my town. But, luckily not us. There were two large trees that went down around the corner but they both fell into the street, not onto the houses.

I fully expected to lose power, as we sometimes do even in a much lesser storm.

Hoping everyone is up and running soon.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

We were fortunate...never lost power though I understand there were a lot of trees blocking roads in and around us.

But it does remind me of those poor folks in Puerto Rico who are still without power...I can barely tolerate a week without it and we have a generator. I don't know how people do it for months with little hope for a quick restore.

• hhireno
    6 years ago

Luckily, we didn’t have any real issues with the storm. We have power, and we didn’t lose any trees, but we have a million sticks and small branches in the yard taunting my husband. There nothing he loves more than stick patrol.

Friday during the storm, I was driving my Mum to her doctor appt. and the grocery store. The storm was mixture of pretty, fluffy, giant snowflakes and icy pellets that stung like crazy when they hit your face.

During Superstorm Sandy, we were without power for a week and stayed with my SIL, who lives very nearby. She called yesterday around 9 am to ask if we had power or if we needed to stay with her. She thinks we would sit in the cold and dark for hours waiting for an invitation and not just call her if we needed help? I guess that’s what she would do if the roles were reversed? I don’t understand her.

I hope your power is restored much earlier than anticipated.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

Wow, memories, my Mom, sister and I used to go to the Flower Show every year when I was a kid.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Power came back on last night. Woo hoo. We are lucky on my street since many around here are still out. The number of huge trees down is impressive, including a big one in Riitenhouse Square in center city. Of course when the power came on, so did every light in the house. Now to talk my mother into coming to my house. She would rather freeze to death than leave her house.

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

Several trees down in my town and lots of branches, but nothing too dramatic. DH went down to our beach house today to make sure everything’s okay — well, one shingle came off the side of the house. Guess we’ll manage!

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    6 years ago

I'm glad you're restored Dedtired. Hope you can convince your Mom to come.

• suero
    6 years ago

We lost power, so we went to the mall. Then the mall lost power, but only for about 10 minutes. The grocery store had power -- via generators -- and we noticed that the piles of firewood for sale were greatly diminished. Lots of pine trees down, but we didn't lose any, just some branches.

• sushipup1
    6 years ago

Here's the forecast for Wednesday, 3"-5" snow.

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/pa/philadelphia/KPAPHILA75/date/2018-03-07

My son's power won't be up until Weds. If he's lucky. Most of his neighbors are fine, just the tree took out his power, and the neighbor's, too. Localized. They are last on list of priorities.

• czarinalex
    6 years ago

We are in CA for the winter(thank goodness!), but my son is home in our house in NE PA. Power went out on Friday morning. Still out in a large community. We have a medium sized generator which can't handle the whole house, so he is running different systems at different times. I feel bad for him dealing with this on his own. He is 22. They are predicting power to be restored by Wednesday. Just in time for the next storm. Our previous town in Westchester Co. NY was also hit hard. My brother lives there and has been without power since Friday as well.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My mom has been here since yesterday. Her power just came back on so we are waiting for her house to warm up. I think she likes it here, although we all like our own space best . I just want life to get back to normal. I hope those of you without power are soon humming again.

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

New one coming on-board Wednesday... potentially a foot of the white stuff up here. Last one, I kept power but lost internet and phone for several hours.

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

We just got ours back in our coastal town. We have a wood stove so we weren't cold but I just ordered a generator. Some in our town still don't have it so I have no complaints. I read three books with my headlights on.

• Bonnie
    6 years ago

We've been fortunate here. No loss of power and no downed trees. We hope we are as fortunate during tomorrow's Nor'easter.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

Now we have another one coming tomorrow. This time we're supposed to get a lot of snow. I foresee some "aerobic snow shoveling" in my future!

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

Yes up to 18 inches and more power outages. Winds 50 mph which seem doable compared to our 90mph during three tides. Ok I can do this but I don't like it. lol

• dedtired
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Eight to 16 inches on its way tomorrow . I cancelled my eye doctor appointment and called the plow guy to confirm. Now off to join the hordes at the grocery. I am crossing my fingers big time that the power stays on. I also am very worried that a giant Norway Spruce in my yard will fall on the house after seeing so many trees on houses from the last storm. And they are already talking about another storm this weekend. I have had it!

• sushipup1
    6 years ago

Our son's power is still out, due to be fixed tomorrow..... yeah, right.

• czarinalex
    6 years ago

My son is still dealing with no power in our PA house. 8-14 inches of snow predicted for tomorrow. I'm stressing for him.

• maire_cate
    6 years ago

I feel so bad for those who are still without power. We have a second home in NE PA in Pike County above the Delaware River and the power was out from Friday morning until Tuesday. The house is surrounded by forest and there are numerous power outages in the region due to trees falling on power lines. When we were building our home there was a nasty spring storm that dropped heavy, wet snow causing a power outage that lasted for 5 days.

We decided then that we needed a whole house generator. We have a 1000 gallon underground propane tank and when the generator kicks on it uses about 3 gallons a hour. That was one of the best decisions we ever made. Our house is in a rural area and we're usually one of the last neighborhoods to have the power restored.

At our primary home we had a 'portable' contractor's size generator that we kept in our storage shed. When the power went out we would put it on the open porch where it was protected from rain and snow but far enough away from doors and windows to avoid fumes. It was comforting to know that it was there if needed but in reality we probably only used it 5 times in 10 years and even then only for hours at a time.

When we moved we gave it to our son with the promise that he keep it maintained and ready. He's only 10 miles away so if need be we can move in with him.

Maire

• sushipup1
    6 years ago

Son's power was restored late this morning, but he still doesn't even have a time for the Verizon FIOS (phone/cable/internet). It's coming down heavier now (1 PM EST).

• czarinalex
    6 years ago

maire.. our primary home is in Shohola.

• maire_cate
    6 years ago

Czarinalex - what a small world! Our vacation home is just outside Milford heading toward Matamoras and Port Jervis off 6/209. We finally were able to speak with the fellow who plows for us and were thrilled to learn that none of the trees had fallen across the driveway.

Now we just have to hope that this storm doesn't cause any more damage. I hope your son has plenty of fuel for the generator.

Maire

• maire_cate
    6 years ago

The power has been out since early afternoon here in South Jersey. We have a gas fireplace though that is keeping us warm.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

Enjoying the gorgeous snow here!

• sas95
    6 years ago

Our power went down this evening. Just when we thought we'd escaped unscathed...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

With this storm yesterday, we are still fortunate to have power. But we have had some limb breakage around our yard as the snow is so heavy. Will have a better idea after we do some clean-up this a.m.

Now they're talking about more snow on Monday!

Hurry spring!!

• nhbaskets
    6 years ago

Home today as my University closed at 2 yesterday and all day today. We have ~15" on the ground. Heavy and wet. Glad we live in a 55+ development and don't have to worry about clearing snow. Many power outages in my city, but we have been lucky. Biggest issue was the sat dish covered with snow so had to brush it off. I know, first world problems. Stay safe everyone!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

Power is out for about 2/3rd of the town. Thx again to the PO no issue for us. We have lost limbs (trees that is) which kills me to see. I always think about how long they took to grow! : (

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

Snow here but turning to rain at some point today. We have more bad weather next week from what I read. It's been ten days of upsetting weather.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I weathered (ha) yesterday's storm without losing power. In fact, I enjoyed being stuck in the house for a day and accomplished a number of cleanup projects. I also caught up on laundry. I even washed sweaters which are now laid out to dry all over the living room. It was such a heavy, wet snow that many limbs are down. I feel so bad that I lost a limb from my Kousa Dogwood. I planted that tree myself and have enjoyed watch it spread and grow. It was positioned perfectly so give me privacy on my screened porch. My neighbors lost many branches from their magnolia trees. Magnolias are beautiful but so problematic.

My plow guy arrived at 10 p.m. Wow did he look tired. Nice to wake up to fully cleared sidewalks and driveway, although it wouldn't have hurt me to continue on indoor cleanup projects for another!

Some people here have been out of power since last Friday. They are raising holy hell with PECO. A popular topic on the local Facebook page is generators. Seems that the most cost effective way to get one is to buy it yourself at Home Depot and then hire someone to install. Looks like that is in my future. Hurray. I love to think up ways to spend money.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Wishing all our friends in the northeast warmer weather and an early spring thaw. Hope you all have power returned soon and little or no damage as a result or the storms. Hang in there!

• maire_cate
    6 years ago

Oh magnolias - I forgot about how the heavy snow wrecks them - and arborvitae. I'll have to drive past my old home to see how they survived. DS moved to a treed lot in Medford and while he didn't lose power 4 of his Cypress trees were uprooted and several maples will have to be removed.

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    6 years ago

We are still in a winter storm warning until this evening. While we have gotten over 30" in the southern part of the state and in the mountains (ski resorts) in my area it's more like 8-10" so far. Temps are hovering around the freezing mark and the snow is clinging to everything, looking very pretty. I haven't heard of any major power outages although once the snow starts dropping off the trees and the branches bounce back that will likely change. The road crews have been doing a great job as always keeping things clear. With DH away at work I've spent a wonderful day watching the storm, reading and not doing any housework. I hope all the New Englanders are making out alright. Please check in.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh Maire, that's a shame that your son lost so many trees.

I really think we are a bit far north for magnolias.They are pretty to look at but such a mess. The fallen blooms glue themselves to the ground.

Skibby, your day sounds delightful.

• maire_cate
    6 years ago

dedtired - Sorry to hear abut your dogwood. That is sad. During Sandy my neighbor's pine tree broke off and smashed one of my Bracken Brown Beauty magnolias. At least they're rather shrubby and in a few years it filled in again.

My son was lucky - some of his neighbors had trees hit their homes and cars.

You'll love having a generator. Will you be able to install a whole house generator or a portable one?

• dedtired
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I doubt I could manage a portable generator, but wondering how much of the whole house variety I can afford. Nevertheless, that's what I'd like to have. We'll see. Somehow when the weather is nice and the power is working it seems less important.

• Bonnie
    6 years ago

We lost power overnight on Wednesday and were out all day Thursday and most of today. Luckily, school was cancelled both days so I did not have to shower in the cold. Our downstairs family room has a gas fireplace and that did a remarkable job of heating that room and part of the kitchen. We have a gas range so were able to cook. DH made a hearty lentil soup. We have lost branches but not entire trees.

Another storm in coming on Monday. Enough!

• eld6161
    6 years ago

Ded. We had a portable one, but like everything else seasonal, we store it down in the city where we have a full storage basement. As a result, it doesn't get maintained and is useless.

We considered a house generator but have not gotten around to it. Both of us feel that so far we have not been that inconvenienced. I think if we were one of the families out for weeks we might have other thoughts.

Check on the prices. If you think it's affordable for you than it certainly can't hurt to have it.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Eld, I've been told that it is less expensive to buy the generator yourself from Home Depot and then hire an electrician to hook it up. I do plan to "age in place" and having no power when you are really old (instead of oldish, as I am now) is a concern. I may as well get one now and enjoy it and have It when I am old and feeble!

• Bonnie
    6 years ago

Ded, I think that makes perfect sense. We might get one too so we don't have to leave the house. Today DH left and went to DD's house to charge our phones and iPads and by the time he got home power was back on. A neighbor across the street has a whole house generator installed by the PO, and it is noisy. I would look at that feature. I'm sure the generator is old and that the newer ones are quieter.

• User
    6 years ago

Our Generac is 10 years old. It's VERY noisy. Dh can sleep through the noise, but I can't. It's on the master bedroom side of the house and I can't sleep in there when it's running. Even moving to the living room sofa isn't ideal, but it's as far away as I can get. A number of our neighbors also have generators now.