SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
huachuma

Kentuck or anyone else who has experience...

huachuma
15 years ago

...growing Moso in hot climates.

Kentuck, I know you have mentioned numerous times that young Moso divisions need shade for the first few years to do well in hot areas. How long will they need this shade?

I live in the Sacramento, CA area where summer temps can reach 100F for days in a row in the summer. We've already had three days in the mid 90's this year although now it's back down to more normal spring temps...

I have a division that I purchased two autumns ago and planted under ornamental purple plums (I didn't plant these plums myself; they came with the house!). I knew that the plums were on their way out for a few years now. They're almost 30 years old and from what I've read they've already well exceeded their expected useful life.

Well, last spring we had some very strong, hot, dry winds come thru and most of the plums' branches came down leaving the Moso exposed. As the bamboo had not put up any new culms as of that time, I erected some 50% shade cloth to protect it.

This year two new culms about 5' high (1/2" diameter) have emerged. Will it still be necessary to give them shade at this point? The shade cloth is rather unsightly...

And to further complicate matters, the new smaller leaves on the culms are variegated! None of the original larger leaves showed this tendency... It certainly wasn't sold to me as a variegated plant.

Is this possibly going to affect their ability to do well in a hot area like mine? Will they burn more easily?

Forgive the contrast in the attached pictures; I took them in mid-afternoon.

{{gwi:410085}}

{{gwi:410087}}

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Comments (4)

Sponsored