SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kali_deere

Types of weed preventers and fertilizers

kali_deere
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi all - I tried looking for my specific question in the search bar but couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for. So I figured I would ask. My fiancé and I are extremely new to lawn care (only our 2nd year in the house), currently our lawn is “ok”, had a decent amount of grass but gets lots of splotches of weeds. I’ve read the backs of the weed killers and fertilizers that we have and still haven’t been able to figure out what combination to use. Note: I am not sure what type of grass we have unfortunately, nothing fancy for sure haha, just an average looking grass for New England.

I know in my zone I should use a pre emergent in April, then continue to fertilize the lawn on a schedule until fall. I have Scott’s Turf Builder, Weed and Feed (I know it’s not the absolutely best option but I already bought it and it was expensive lol). The instructions say it can be used as a pre-emergent AND it feeds the grass. Okay I got that part. But I also have areas covered in moss-type weeds (not covered by Scott’s W&F), I bought a special moss killer.

Question 1: Can I avoid the moss areas when applying the Scott’s and then apply the moss killer to the moss only areas? Or should I wait a certain amount of time before applying the moss killer?

Lastly, I have a Scott’s Turf Builder (without weed prevention).

Question 2: is this able to be used in addition to Scott’s Turf Buidler, Weed and Feed to fertilize the lawn even more? Or should I only use one of the Scott’s products for fear of over use of chemicals?

Thank you all in advance!!!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH