The richness of the written word.... no hashtags, no text-abbrevs

yoyobon_gw

“On the single strand of wire strung to bring our house electricity, grackles and starlings neatly punctuated an invisible sentence.”
John Updike

SaveComment24Like4
Comments (24)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathy_t

"It was an awkward dance, with death calling the tune, and in a way, I felt sorry for Halderson who was simply trying to be kind."
-- William Kent Krueger in Ordinary Grace.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

" The day after that, all the children disappeared, as if London had shrugged and the small people had fallen off the edge."

- Lissa Evans in Crooked Heart

4 Likes Save    
carolyn_ky

"The flush on her cheeks and the brightness in her eyes, somewhat feverish in origin though he guessed it to be, gave her a vital quality that accentuated the appeal of her youth. Mordecai Tremaine's sentimental soul described a somersault."

- Francis Duncan in Murder for Christmas

Yoyobon, I liked that sentence very much, too.

1 Like Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

"Hold to the now, the here, through which all future plunges to the past."

Ulysses by James Joyce

1 Like Save    
woodnymph2_gw

"Perhaps I could have saved him, with only a word, two words, out of my mouth. Perhaps I could have saved us all. But I never spoke them."

(Alan Paton: Too Late the Phalarope).

"He appeared at our house on a Sunday in November 189---. I still say "our" house, though it is ours no longer; nearly fifteen years have passed since we left the neighborhood, and we shall not be going back to it."

(Alain-Fournier: The Lost Domain (le Grand Meaulnes).)

2 Likes Save    
kathy_t

"The driver put the cab in gear and Broadway began slipping by the windows like a string of lights being pulled off a Christmas Tree."
- Amor Towles in Rules of Civility

1 Like Save    
yoyobon_gw

" One of the pleasantest of all emotions is to know that I , I with my brain and my hands, have nourished my beloved few, that I have concocted a stew or a story, a rarity or a plain dish, to sustain them truly against the hungers of the world."

- M.F.K. Fisher

3 Likes Save    
4kids4us

“Writing was like prying a cactus sticker from beneath my skin. Sometimes the process was painful, but it felt better once it came out, and only then could the healing start.”

-Dave Boling in his novel The Lost History of Stars

1 Like Save    
kathy_t

I just read this in News of the World by Paulette Jiles. It's not what you'd call eloquent, but it sure rang true. Following a couple days of hot pursuit and a gunfight during which the character (Captain Kidd) barely managed to stay alive and protect his young charge, this:

"Captain Kidd looked up and enviously considered the chickens -- so daft, so stupid, so uninformed."

Save    
yoyobon_gw

LOL........I may or may not entertain that thought on a daily basis !

1 Like Save    
kathy_t

"For he loved the Trachis winters, when all the summer cottages were closed and the island tucked into itself, a closed shell, a clam: the snow squalls in the afternoons, fires in the hearth, and the short, pink twilights with the sun racing into the sea."
-- Brad Kessler in Birds in Fall

3 Likes Save    
vee_new

By the writer and 'cultural historian' David Lowenthal, US academic, in response to each generation's attempt to re-write history by selective suppression (eg statues of controversial figures being removed)

"History can be hard to digest. But it must be swallowed whole to undeceive the present and edify the future."

From his book The Past is a Different Country.

3 Likes Save    
yoyobon_gw

This is from a letter to her readers written by Louise Penny :

"Ring the bells that stil can ring

Forget your perfect offering

There is a crack in everything.

That's how the light gets in. "

Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Yoyo, were you aware that these words are taken from a poem by the late Leonard Cohen? (they are not original to Penny). Last year I attended a marvelous workshop on the music, poetry, and life of Cohen here in Charleston, SC, as part of the annual Spoletto Festival.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

I understood that they were not her own words by the way she had inserted them in italics into her letter. I have meant to google them to find the source .

Those words struck me very deeply and reminded me of so many of life's painful challenges and consequent meanings.

Save    
woodnymph2_gw

His entire poem is quite thought-provoking and beautiful.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

" 'All is bright.' Crie's exquisite voice played in the rafters with the lights then slipped under the door of the old chapel and danced with the gently falling snowflakes and parked cars and bare maples. The words of the old carol glided across the frozen pond and nested in the Christmas trees and seeped into every happy home in Three Pines. "

-from A Fatal Grace by Louise Penny

2 Likes Save    
carolyn_ky

Beautiful. No wonder so many of us want to go live in Three Pines.

4 Likes Save    
carolyn_ky

Just found a comment for readers: Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. Mason Cooley.

3 Likes Save    
reader_in_transit

Two quotes from the last book I read, The Trouble with Goats and Sheep by Joanna Cannon:

"We sat in silence. I knew straightaway that Walter Bishop was the kind of person you could sit in silence with. There were very few people like that, I had found. Most grown-ups liked to fill a silence with conversation. Not important, necessary conversation, but a spray of words that served no purpose other than to cover up the quiet."

"It's the small decisions, the ones that slip themselves into your day unnoticed, the ones that wrap their weight in insignificance. These are the decisions that will bury you".

Save    
yoyobon_gw

The first quote reminds me of a Maisie Dobbs philosophy which she practices .

1 Like Save    
kathy_t

This evocative sentence interrupted my reading flow, making me read it multiple times:

"The most delicious meal of her life, she said, had been chargrilled octopus, which she'd eaten at sunset in an unassuming harbor front taverna one late summer evening on Naxos."

from Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine by Gail Honeyman

Save    
yoyobon_gw

" As we walked to the dining room that evening, I could almost hear the heavy fabric of Angela's lifelong disappointment swishing. This was to be a silent meal. I dreaded it already. "

from The Shape Of Mercy by Susan Meissner

1 Like Save    
yoyobon_gw

President Warren Harding was an orator, but his bloviations were an army of pompous phrases moving across the landscape in search of an idea.— Harold Evans, New York Times Book Review,

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Budgeting Your Project What to Look for in a Contractor's Contract
10 basic ingredients for a contract will help pave the way to remodel happiness
Full Story
Decorating Guides A Minimalist’s Guide to Maximalism
Consider 7 lessons we can learn from the reemerging maximalist trend
Full Story
Dens and Libraries 'Not My Precious Books!' — Pain-Free Ways to Declutter Your Library
Have your books and neatness too, with these ideas for paring down and straightening up a beloved collection
Full Story
We provide the best and most reliable roofing services with the most competitive pricing available. We are fast... Read More
Whether you're interested in energy efficiency or an architectural renovation our wide selection of replacement... Read More