The richness of the written word.... no hashtags, no text-abbrevs
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (42)
- 8 years ago
Related Discussions
Good garden writing
Comments (28)I've had some time to gather my thoughts and think abut garden books I have known and loved. There are two different ways garden books have impressed me. One is by sheer enchantment of the writing. Many of those have already been listed here. I won't waste anyone's time with a Me-Too list; suffice it to say that many of my most beloved garden books have already been listed here above by others with excellent (similar) taste. Another way, equally important to my evolution as a gardener, is by presenting to me ideas that excite and inspire me. Sometimes this is simply reading the right book at the right time. Read another time that same book might not have had the same impact. Then again, if the book was really a powerful presentation, it might inspire me at any time. So here is an annotated list. It is not all-inclusive. I'm sure I left out several books that knocked my garden shoes off my feet at one time or another. The White Witch by Elizabeth Goudge - this is actually a historical novel set in the English Civil War. The main character is an herb woman with a deep love of her garden. You could just feel her love of plants. I read it as a teenager, and was first introduced here to the concept of old roses, different from our modern roses. The Self-Sufficient Gardener by John Seymour - vegetables, not roses, but I have probably read this book four or five times and keep making lists whenever I read it. The Nature of Landscape Design by Nan Fairbrother - after reading this beautifully written and thoughtful book, I seriously considered a career in landscape architecture. Nature's Guide to Successful Gardening and Landscaping by William Flemer III - reading this book was the first time I encountered the concept of plant communities that belong in certain environments. Making Things Grow Outdoors by Thalassa Cruso - this was the first garden biography I ever read. I was fascinated at its concept of the evolution and development of a garden over time. Maybe other people just get it. I had to learn it. Undaunted Garden by Lauren Springer - a book about gardening when the climate isn't easy - full of joy and energy. The Fragrant Year by Helen Van Pelt Wilson and Leonie Bell - after reading this book, I could never again experience a garden with my eyes and ignore the nose. Lots of old rose information as well. I knew little about old roses when I read it, so lots of it passed over my head, but it was wonderfully rich and enticing nonetheless. The Grape Grower by Len Rombaugh - what can I say? After I read this book I planted grapes on my back patio arbor. I had to. The Compleat Squash by Amy Goldman - and after this one I began to grow pumpkins in my roses. I won't repeat that, but I will continue to grow pumpkins and squashes. Onward and Upward in the Garden by Katherine White - the ultimate book on the love of seed catalogs Last Whole Earth Catalog - I'm reaching back pretty far here, but this was inspirational reading when I planted my first rose garden. Through it I found Roses of Yesterday and Today, Will Tillotson's old nursery, and practically the only nursery in the United States that specialized in old roses at the time. Teaming with Microbes by Jeff Lowefels and Wayne Lewis - my latest garden book discovery, fueling a long interest in healthy soil. So there you have it, a mixture of the practical, the poetic, and the ridiculous. Rosefolly...See MoreMicrosoft Word/Word Perfect
Comments (13)Nonnie, please don't take offense but I think the problem is more with you being a novice than with Wordperfect. I say that based on a couple clues you give me in your post. One thing is WordPerfect will accept any universal graphics format. Those do not include graphics generated in program-specific formats like Print Shop or Master Prints and other such programs. Universal formats include bmp, jpg, tif, wmf, eps, pcx, png, and there are many others, but these are the most common. WordPerfect will accept all of these and most (if not all) of the others. And, of course, it accepts its own format wpg. To find out what it will accept, go to Insert Picture as if you are going to insert one. Click on the Files of Type arrow at the bottom and scroll to see what all is in there. Files of any other type will not be compatible, which means you might have to tell it to accept more if it isn't already programmed to do that. This is part of setup and is located on your WordPerfect installation disk. Concerning the article you are trying to put into your document, I don't know what that is. Is it type-written words or is it a graphic image? Is it a WordPerfect document? A Word document? A document created in some other program? Or a graphic clip that someone sent you? And how are you trying to insert it? If it is type written, is it possible to copy and paste it in? Please give a little more information? Increasing memory, as Owbist suggested, is always a good. I do know Word is the more popular word processing program used these days, but WordPerfect is also powerful and nothing snuff at LOL. I can understand the documents you receive from people are usually written in Word and having Word will make like a lot easier for you. So, to answer your question, yes you can install and run Word without having to uninstall WordPerfect. Installing Word is simple enough. The installation Wizard will walk you through it. You just follow the instructions on the screen and answer the questions it asks. You may want to instruct submissions to limit file types and size. If I were you, I'd make that only bmp formats because they don't blur or distort as readily as jpg formatted images. Also, people will send 10mg files because they don't know any better. You may want to tell them to limit file size to 1mg or 2 or 3 so you are able to manage the size and functionability of your newsletter pages(s). If you ever have to take your newsletter to a service bureau for printing, they will require jpg images only, so you will need to know that when instructing submissions....See MoreGood Old Word Question
Comments (80)BAREFOOT CONTESSA'S MEATLOAF RECIPE 1 tablespoon good olive oil 3 cups chopped yellow onions (3 onions) 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves 2 teaspoons kosher salt 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce 1/3 cup canned chicken stock or broth 1 tablespoon tomato paste 2� pounds ground chuck (81% lean) � cup plain dry bread crumbs, such as Progresso 2 extra-large eggs, beaten 1/2 cup ketchup, preferably Heinz Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Heat the olive oil in a medium saut� pan. Add the onions, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent but not brown. Off the heat, add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock, and tomato paste. Allow to cool slightly. In a large bowl, combine the ground chuck, onion mixture, bread crumbs, and eggs, and mix lightly with a fork. Don�t mash or the meatloaf will be dense. Shape the mixture into a rectangular loaf on sheet pan covered with parchment paper. Spread the ketchup evenly on top. Bake for 1 to 1� hours, until the internal temperature is 160 degrees and the meat loaf is cooked through. (A pan of hot water in the oven, under the meat loaf, will keep the top from cracking.) Serve hot....See MoreQuotes - 9 - 14 - 17
Comments (1)The Garland quotes make me want to sit next to him and watch. Nice quotes to visit again. Syndey Harris quotes should be on a must read list, like them. Geraldine Harris I love. Have her books and which of her quote is my favorite? They are all. We both are cancer survivors, so there is a connection with similar experiences. Thanks, Don for all the quotes....See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
Related Stories

CONTRACTOR TIPSWhat to Look for in a Contractor's Contract
10 basic ingredients for a contract will help pave the way to remodel happiness
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESA Minimalist’s Guide to Maximalism
Consider 7 lessons we can learn from the reemerging maximalist trend
Full Story
LIFE'Not My Precious Books!' — Pain-Free Ways to Declutter Your Library
Have your books and neatness too, with these ideas for paring down and straightening up a beloved collection
Full Story
WORKING WITH PROSHow to Hire the Right Architect
Your perfect match is out there. Here’s how to find good candidates — and what to ask at that first interview
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGDownsizing Help: How to Edit Your Belongings
Learn what to take and what to toss if you're moving to a smaller home
Full Story
PETSSo You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESDesign Debate: Should You Use Books for Decoration?
Color blocking, books by the yard, blank covers — is all fair in love and decor?
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESSo You Want to Build: 7 Steps to Creating a New Home
Get the house you envision — and even enjoy the process — by following this architect's guide to building a new home
Full Story
BATHROOM MAKEOVERSWhat I Learned From My Master Bathroom Renovation
Houzz writer Becky Harris lived through her own remodel recently. She shares what it was like and gives her top tips
Full Story
WORKING WITH PROS10 Things Decorators Want You to Know About What They Do
They do more than pick pretty colors. Here's what decorators can do for you — and how you can help them
Full Story
yoyobon_gwOriginal Author