When did (and why) did the word "Hacks" replace "Tips"
12 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (67)
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
Related Discussions
What did you look at, Why did you choose, Did it work?
Comments (16)Last time I purchased a mower looked at several brands, choose Sears because; more features for the dollar, had owned sears prior - it was still going after 29 yrs (1973 to 2002) with very few problems, but wanted to bag and could not get a baggers for the old sears ST10. This mower is used on my personal lawn and in addition I have a JD GT275 for Moms property which is 12 miles away. I also have a (1979) JD2040 w/ a FEL which I use for handling mulch and other landscaping materials in a part time business. Recently retired for full time employement and am going pretty much full time landscaping by default. Would like to replace the GT275 with a Zturn - probably a Scag Tiger Cub, because the amount of grass at Moms property and maybe do a little commerical cutting with it. I previously had purchased a Woods RM990 finishing mower for the 2040, but couldn't compete with the Zturns, so I sold the woods this spring. I've had good service from all equipment I've purchased - from sears to deeres, but like the original purchase price, Deere service is dear, but still very good. I only use purchase service when I have trouble finding time to do it myself, seems like a lot lately. Been trying to buy a JD gator TX model, best price so far is $6,150; way to much in my opinion. I should not be to tough on the TX, had it on demo for 8 days with 23 hrs my use on the clock. Had a landscaping contract where it would be highly visible - so dealer said why not. Turned it in yesterday "not sold" :-( ....See MoreWhy did you choose the backsplash that you did?
Comments (40)Backs plashes are difficult because they are basically design decisions vs building decisions and while most of us are good at picking and figuring, pre-visualizing is tougher. Even some KDs aren't especially good at doing a back splash so don't beat yourself up. Tile design can be very challenging -- if the store will help out with it that's always a bonus. Some will for a nominal or no fee. They'll do the design and sometimes even help find an installer. . When it gets tough, instead of getting lost in tile world I think it might be easier to find a photo of a backsplash you love, or even of a tile object you love. If you post it folks here can give suggestions about how it will work in the kitchen and whether it will produce the result. Then it can be used as the basis for the splash (take it along while shopping). Here's an extensive list of tile sources which can help with some of the pre-shopping. http://www.atticmag.com/shopping/tile.html My backsplash basically sets the style of the kitchen. It runs from countertop to ceiling on 2 walls -- so it's the opposite of the 4" micro-splash. I began with the tile and picked around it (not typical). My inspiration was ceramic tile stoves. I drew out a scale "cartoon" of the splash and colored it in and taped it up to see how it would look. Tile has repetitive pattern so it always draws the eye. The cartoon was a bit of work but very helpful as it covered nearly a 2' x 3' section (paper taped together)....See MoreA few Ikea Kitchen Sektion tips/hacks...
Comments (16)@alerievay -- We ordered samples. Honestly, I'm not sure its worth it to get the SemiHandmade glossy white over the Ikea glossy white. The Ikea white is very nice; sturdy and a lovely finish. The SemiHandmade walnut is gorgeous though; the grain is beautiful. I think that the wood is where SemiHandmade really shines....See MoreTips, Tricks, and Hacks for House Plants
Comments (19)Some really great ideas here. A few I use- For air layering, I often pin sections of plants into the substrate with paperclip halves, nice U shape, and in a few weeks or so there are enough roots to cut the stem for an already rooted cutting. For training vining plants on a trellis, cheap hair clips work beautifully. For pots with huge drain holes, I cover with a bit of old window screen to keep the soil from washing out. Clear plastic cups with drainage holes punched in the bottom are great for rooting cuttings. Cheap, and you can tell at a glance how the root system is progressing. Ziplock bags are great for rooting many types of cuttings, and make emergency humidity tents for that one plant you forgot to water on the hot windowsill... whoops. I used to have an issue with knocking over small pots on windowsills when they git dry, or top heavy pots with bamboo u hoops. (I grow mostly Hoyas), then I started putting a few rocks in each pot to weigh them down. Just be sure it doesnt impact water retention too much. Havent knocked over a pot since. That is all I can think of for now....See More- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Stories

DISASTER PREP & RECOVERYRemodeling After Water Damage: Tips From a Homeowner Who Did It
Learn the crucial steps and coping mechanisms that can help when flooding strikes your home
Full Story
BUDGETING YOUR PROJECTHouzz Call: What Did Your Kitchen Renovation Teach You About Budgeting?
Cost is often the biggest shocker in a home renovation project. Share your wisdom to help your fellow Houzzers
Full Story
LIFEYou Said It: ‘They Did Not Have a Throwaway Mentality’ and More
Houzz articles about Fred MacMurray's farm, sci-fi style, hoodoos, and 31 true remodeling tales struck a chord this week
Full Story
FUN HOUZZDid Elves Make a Home in a San Francisco Park?
Speculation has swirled around a Lilliputian doorway in Golden Gate Park. We give you the true story — and a design dilemma
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNShow Us Your Fabulous DIY Kitchen
Did you do a great job when you did it yourself? We want to see and hear about it
Full Story
WORKING WITH PROSThe 4 Potentially Most Expensive Words in Remodeling
‘While you’re at it’ can result in change orders that quickly add up
Full Story
CONTRACTOR TIPSBuilding Permits: When a Permit Is Required and When It's Not
In this article, the first in a series exploring permit processes and requirements, learn why and when you might need one
Full Story
HOME OFFICES9 Hacks for a Clutter-Free Home Office
Use these clever ideas to transform a chaotic study into one that’s more conducive to working
Full Story
STORAGE10 Smart Storage Hacks for Shoe Lovers
If your heels, flats, sneakers and boots are piling up in your foyer and bedrooms, restore order with these savvy storage hacks
Full Story
KITCHEN STORAGEKitchen Storage Hacks to Make Use of Every Space
Cupboards full? Try these kitchen ideas for working more valuable storage into your cooking space
Full Story

Texas_Gem