SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmajor_gw

What did you look at, Why did you choose, Did it work?

tmajor
16 years ago

I think, it might be interesting, and useful to buyers, to know what features you considered important, when buying your tractor/mower (other than price), what turned out to be a wise or useful choice and what features didn't work, as you had intended.

My first tractor was bought without any comparison shopping, as there weren't any dealers in the area and it looked like a good used tractor (lawn tractors were just coming into vogue). While it was a very solid tractor, it had manual shift and a, not too tight turning radius. This meant at every tree, it took several shifts to mow around it close. Also, at every corner of the lawn, shifting back and forth was required or going "around".

While shifting seemed to be required, I looked for tighter steering on the next tractor. Also, since I didn't need a "tractor" for only mowing, I came up with a "riding mower" with interconnected steering, which would allow it to zip around most trees. This left turf damage, where the outer wheel was driving it around, and of course this was in the same area, every time I mowed. I felt that this tight turning would negate the need to shift often. The problem here, was the same as the other mower, on the corners of the lawn ... I either had to shift back and forth to make the corner or "go around". You just can't mow up to the end of a corner, turn, and be in alignment with the other direction, without backing up. So, steering and hydro, would be the next consideration. Also, on tractors with a real tight steering radius, if the front wheels do turn at nearly right angles, it doesn't mean the tractor is going to follow them around. ... It can act more like a brake.

While mowing with these tractors/mowers, it seemed like a lot of work and time. So, another consideration was deck width. Some of the tractors had large engines, but relatively small decks and the price seemed to be based on engine size, more so than deck size. Also, I didn't want to get one too large, that it wouldn't go between already established trees, bushes, etc..

The unit, which would seem to solve those problems, turned out to be a mid-mount, hydro ZTR. I wonder, at this point, if a front mounted deck might not be handy for mowing under bushes, etc.. The mower could be run underneath, rather than alongside of.

I'm sure there are a lot more facets, than these to be considered, when choosing features. ... some work, some don't.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH