SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kborders5988

New Construction Flooded Basement

kborders5988
6 years ago

My wife and I are building a new home in a Fischer homes community. Up to this point we have been very happy with the process. However, this past weekend saw our area get over 6 inches of rain. Fearing the worst I stopped by the house on Sunday and my fears were realized as we had 1/2 an inch of muddy and milky water pooling over about 200 sq ft of our unfinished basement.

I took some pictures and called our builder immediately. He insisted it was due to the electric going out and the sump pump not working. I do not believe this to be the case as there was no flooding at all around the sump pump. Further the water was milky, muddy and full of sediment which I would think would be inconsistent with sump pump flooding issues.

our superintendent is trying to gloss this over and says there is no need to investigate any further cause. He also casually mentioned this had occurred previously which also struck a nerve as two flooded basements in 6 months sounds like a recipe for future issues.

we are about 4-6 weeks from closing. Are there any experts who can advise on what we should do?

Comments (4)