SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

One Reason to Report a Fall

chisue
6 years ago

Re: Anglophilia's thread. Why you may not know that you aren't acting rationally, and why you should err on the safe side -- being examined after a fall. (There's also food for thought on why it's hard to know when 'aging in place' is over.)

A dear friend and I chat by phone a couple times a month. She is in the Bay Area. I live near Chicago. She is 81. Her DH is close closing in on 90.

In November my friend said that her DH had gotten out of bed one night and fallen flat on his face. He refused to go to the doctor. In subsequent conversations she told me he had become unsteady and 'listed', dragging one leg. He still refused to be seen.

This month my friend called to say her DH was in the hospital recovering from surgery. He'd nearly fallen in the shower, and had hit his head against the shower wall. She gave him two choices: She would call an ambulance or she would drive him to the hospital. He still insisted on having breakfast before allowing her to drive him. (Big NO here. Don't delay being seen, and don't eat if you may be requiring surgery.)

Brain scans showed a fresh lesion and bleeding from his brain from that morning -- and a second, older lesion that had completely filled one hemisphere of his skull with bloody fluid!

The neurosurgical team drilled a hole in his skull and successfully drained the fluid. He was in hospital for a week, exhibiting deranged behavior to the point of requiring restraints. He was then discharged to a nursing home for a three-week stay. His doctors told him that subdural hematomas are *common* in the elderly and often reoccur.

He stayed a week at the home, then insisted on going home -- to a three-level townhome, with an elevator that he refuses to use, claiming that he is 'just fine' on the stairs. His DW is about 5' 2"; 100 pounds.

Where do YOU see this going?

Comments (12)