SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosesniffer

Too much garden lime, how to fix?

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello everyone,

I was making soil to plant my bareroot roses (not in yet) in, but I used WAY too much garden lime. I used the Epsoma pelleted garden lime. This is very embarrassing but... I accidentally dumped the whole 6.75 pound bag into about 25 gallon mixture of 15 gallons of tree/shrub mix, 8 gallons of bark fines 2 gallons of peat moss.

I made myself a guide and accidentally switched up the amount of perlite with the amount of garden lime... and now I don't know what to do! The soil has no plants in it and it's in containers. What can I do to combat this? I'm gonna go get a soil pH tester tomorrow, but I am very sure that my mixture is too alkaline... I mean I dumped the whole thing in! What are the limits of how alkaline garden lime can make your soil? If the soil turns out too alkaline, do you have any suggestions on what to do? I would prefer a fast-acting and permanent solution. I read watering with diluted vinegar can lower pH instantly, but then some people were saying that it's not good for plants and it kills nutrients in the soil. What should I do?

Comments (14)