Which native shrub to use?

irismead

I want to fill an area that is dry, partial shade with native shrubs. I’m in 7b. I was thinking about oak leaf hydrangeas, but what are some other suggestions? Should I stick with 1 type of shrub or a mixture? Thanks.

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texasranger2

I have very good luck with Salvia greggii. They take a surprising amount of shade, tolerant to the dry soil and they bloom well. I've filled a lot of difficult spots using volunteer seedlings and rooted cuttings.

1 Like Save    
junco East Georgia zone 8a(zone 8a)

Itea virginica, Virginia Sweetspire, thrives in sun to part shade, suckers nicely and has nice color in the fall as well as white flowers in late spring. It will mix nicely with the Oakleafs.

Save    
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

It really ,matters where you call home and what dry means in your environment. Dry in Georgia is different from dry in In Texas.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

^^ Exactly!! Zone 7b is meaningless when it comes to suggesting native plants. What is native to zone 7b Georgia will NOT be the same as what is native to zone 7b in Texas, Washington state or Oregon!!

Save    
irismead
Yes,of course. 7b Atlanta, Ga.
Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Here is a listing of shrubs native to Georgia. Lots of good and very attractive choices to pick from :-)

Georgia Native Plant Society - Shrubs

1 Like Save    
l pinkmountain

Sweetspire (Itea virginica) does not like dry. I've had some luck with Carolina allspice, Calycanthus floridus. It gets leggy in shade but not unattractive.

Save    
josephene_gw

East Texas , East of Houston is called the Big Thicket or Piney Woods. Lots of rain.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides 8 Native Shrubs for Year-Round Bird Feeding
It’s not just about berries. These plants provide insects for birds and seasonal interest for gardeners
Full Story
Gardening Guides Tidy Up Sprawling Native Shrubs With These Pruning Tips
Sound horticultural pruning methods work for native and nonnative plants alike
Full Story
Gardening Guides 10 Essential Native Shrubs for Southwestern Gardens
Look no further than these Southwestern beauties for a colorful, low-maintenance landscape
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever