SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kebc77

planning a native, bird-friendly shrub bed--feedback?

kebc77
16 years ago

Hello!

We are in the process of taking our .25-acre property from mostly lawn to mostly flower and shrub beds. Our next project is going to be a shrub bed that runs along our garage (which is on the western side of our property) and faces east. It gets less than the normal amt. of morning sun for an east-facing area b/c there's a large maple tree on the opposite (i.e. east) side of the property right up against the property line.

We would like to plant 2 or 3 viburnums (either V. trilobum/dwarf V. trilobum like "Alfredo" or "Phillips" or V. dentatum/V. dentatum "Blue Muffin"), 2 summersweet ("Ruby Spice" or "Hummingbird"), and 2 spice bush. We will keep a peony that is already there and well established.

My main concern is that the area may not have enough light for good flowering/fruiting, and overall shrub health. Can you give some input on this? Also, we are looking for suggestions on what to underplant the shrubs with, are looking for early spring color using either bulbs or perennials (possibly a ground cover). We've had good luck planning and implementing our perennial bed (again, using native, bird/butterfly friendly plants) but I'm not sure what "looks good" when designing a shrub bed, and I don't just want to plunk the shrubs down in a row and call it done ;).

Thanks!

Kristen

Comments (2)