SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thane_gw

What are your favorite PNW native understory shrubs?

thane
17 years ago

Hello everyone. I've got a row of tall conifers along the back of my yard that have some unsightly gaps I'm looking to fill. I'd like to plant some native understory shrubs, both to simulate the look of a native forest, and to encourage local wildlife to visit.

The area is rife with roots from the large trees; I could either plant the shrubs among the roots (my preference for space reasons) or plant them 5'-6' further inside the property, which would take up more of my yard. I've read on the woodland forum about starting with small plants and digging out holes for them where there aren't any major roots, and am planning to follow that advice. The site gets around 3-4 hours of direct sun a day.

I already have some volunteer Salal and Oregon Grape. I like the Oregon Grape a lot, but the Salal in this location seems to be rather leggy and unattractive. I also have several Vaccinium ovatum, a favorite of mine.

Here are the new native shrubs I'm considering. I've done a fair amount of reading on most of them; I'd appreciate any comments or advice you may have on any of the selections. I'm looking to use a variety of shrubs in different places, so some or all of these may be used. My dream shrub would be evergreen, fast-growing, and not get too big, but I don't think any of the below fit that description.

Oemleria cerasiformis - One of my favorites, as it's said to be excellent for attracting birds to the yard, and I've read that it's an early nectar source for hummingbirds. I'll try to be sure to get a male and female for the fruit production. Only downside I know of: It's deciduous.

Ceanothus - I love the blue-blooming ceanothuses, and I'm planning to find a spot for these. I've read that they don't live much longer than 10 years, so I wouldn't use them in an important spot, but would love to have some around.

Holodiscus discolor - Recently found out about this shrub, and love the creamy-colored bloom clusters. It's listed everywhere as an understory shrub, but Paghat says it gets leggy and unattractive in shade. Anyone have experience with this?

Arctostaphylos columbiana - High marks for attracting hummingbirds, interesting bark, and evergreen foliage. This was one of my top choices until a nursery expert(?) told me with great assuredness that it had to be grown out in the open, with lots of space to itself. I've seen it on lists of understory shrubs, and it's usually listed as liking full sun or part sun. Any ideas?

Sambucus racemosa - This one caught my eye because it's apparently very fast-growing, and has pretty clusters of berries.

I welcome any comments or other suggestions!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting