SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_jurgensen

Desperately Seeking- what is your unicorn rose?

Ok guys, we all have them. That one (or possible more) rose, an elusive mythical creature from the depths of time. It existed once, other lucky gardeners might, perhaps, have it stashed somewhere in their collections. However, for all intents and purposes it seems gone, mysteriously vanished from local commerce, much to your dismay. Oh, there! You spot it on a collector's list, only to realize they aren't propagating it, or aren't a mail order nursery, (or even worse, are on another continent and your government doesn't take import lightly, or consider it an option for the average citizen). You consider doing something rash- should you drive across the country, abandoning spouse, offspring, and all other responsibilities to chase after it? Probably not the best option. Perhaps you might pay someone to buy it locally and ship it to you! Rose rustling, that's an option right? Surely like a thief in the night, you might find an established bush and give it juuuuust the tiniest of haircuts? That public garden won't notice right?!

Ok, so please do not think that I actively condone illegal behaviors. (Please secure all of your roses in legal and ethical ways) However these thoughts have crossed my mind when I gaze longingly at the helpmefind entries for my two unicorns:

Centifolia Bullata and Psyche.

What is it about these two that I find so engrossing that I (briefly) contemplate cross country travel or rose rustling in the depths of night? First of all, the classic centifolia form of Bullata and it's relatives leaves my heart in a puddle on the floor. It's featured on my china dishes, and in my favorite rose portraits. Plus I just adore those beautiful, crinkled, elegant leaves. I have the original R. centifolia, and the other variations are on my list- Crested? Yes thank you! White? Absolutely. Mossy? Why thank you very much, I would love to. There have been other leaf variations historically, though it seems they were a product of some strangeness not easily reproduced. There is just something about Bullata that sets my heart on fire.

As for Psyche, also known as Paul's Pink Rambler- this one is harder for me to put a finger on. You see this rose often advertised in nursery catalogs in the Midwest around the late 1890s and 1900s. This is a separate rose from Paul's Himalayan Musk- hardier, and with multiflora heritage instead of musk. For me there is something ethereal about the beauty of this rose. Certainly it shares features with many pale pink/white blush ramblers of it's time. It just has an extra spark, a bit more grace of petal perhaps, or the perfect shade of color that tells me it ought to be in my garden. An old rose full of Victorian prairie charm.

What are your unicorn roses, friends? Which nigh impossible-to-find rose sets your heart on fire? Which rose would you gladly make room for if only you could put your hands on it? Who knows, maybe we can make a dream or two come through for someone!

Comments (129)