SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eleeny_gw

Desperately seeking HELP on appliances for new kitchen, please!

eleeny
16 years ago

I've just discovered this forum... And stayed up all night reading these helpful threads. You guys are awesome! So I registered and hope that some of you will help us figure out what appliances to get for our new kitchen.

We're buying a new construction house that will be done within 3 weeks. The builder has planned only $10,000 USD for GE Monogram built-in appliances, to include a 42" fridge, 36" electric cooktop, 30" double wall ovens, and 24" dishwasher. There's a microwave shelf, but he won't provide the unit. If I want to upgrade anything, I must order it immediately or lose my opportunity, as they want to finish up ASAP. Thus, no time really for research or price comparisons.

Here's what I'm thinking so far -

Cooktop: 36" all-induction, probably the Thermador or Gaggenau. Please help me decide which! (Gaggenau, by the way, costs $100 less than the Thermador... Do you know why that would be?)

Fridge: GE Monogram 42" side-by-side built-in with dispenser.

Dishwasher: Miele Optima or Excella. (Is Excella worth the extra bucks?)

Ovens: This is our BIGGEST PROBLEM. The kitchen as is only has one big electrical wire for the 30" double ovens, and another connection for the microwave which is the standard 120V. I hardly bake, so I definitely don't need 2 ovens. In my ideal kitchen, I would LOVE to have 1 single convection oven, 1 microwave, and 1 convection warming drawer. In my wildest dreams, it would even have the convection-steam oven from either Miele or Gaggenau!

When I asked about additional electrical wiring, the builder said it would cost me thousands... Do you think it's worth the money to "do it right" now, since we'll be stuck with it for years to come? Otherwise, please help me figure out how to get the most kitchen out of this limited set-up.

I know virtually nothing about electrical wiring, so please tell me if this will work - Get a combination unit with one microwave and one 30" convection oven for the space where the double ovens would have one. They make those with just 1 electrical connection for both appliances, right? Then, can I put the Gaggenau combi steam oven on the "microwave shelf" where there's only 120V wiring? If so, I'd give up the warming drawer. (I've tried to ask the builder about these issues, but he acts like I should just be happy with his original plans!) Please also let me if you have any suggestions on where I can cut back to not go over-budget too much, as we'll probably have to delay other things (sprinklers, deck/patio, landscaping) in order to outfit the kitchen properly.

Well, sorry for this long post, but I'm pulling my hair out! Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!

Comments (17)