Cold and Flu Season
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (17)
Related Discussions
The Winter of '08/'09 - Round 2
Comments (26)DH came down with something nasty on Tuesday, starting in his throat and moving down into his chest today, with fever. He has the luxury of sick days at work. I'm crossing my fingers I don't get it, cause I won't be able to take time off work right now - it's springtime, which is our busy season, and no work, no pay. Poor DH, though, when he's sick, he suffers. He's had pneumonia before, so we have to be very careful when he gets sick. The clinic was concerned enough to do xrays, and his lungs were clear. I'm hoping they stay that way. He has antibiotics, an inhaler, some kind of mouthwash, and cough medicine, so I think he's set - all he needs is time to heal. Jessy and DLynn, I hope y'all get better quickly. It's no fun being sick. Sally...See MoreHelpful tips for child's cold
Comments (12)There have been recent new warnings by the CDC about giving small children over the counter cold medications. Even though these things can be purchased without a prescription, they are still medicines and several children have died after taking them. I would be extremely cautious about medicating an infant or toddler with OTC medications. It's just my opinion but it seems to me that people generally are FAR too quick to reach for medications these days. It seems that we all expect to prevent or eliminate every symptom or discomfort by taking drugs! I am one of only two people my age that I know who is not taking medication on a regular and ongoing basis - and I have had a chronic, incurable illness for over 30 years! It is absolutely frightening to me to know that almost everyone - children included - is being medicated on a daily, open ended basis. I believe that if a child is in serious distress on account of illness of any kind he/she should be taken to a doctor who can diagnose and prescribe, if necessary and if prescription medication offers actual improvement that would not happen without such treatment. If the problem is minor or appears to be an uncomplicated cold, standard (non drug) treatments such as pushing fluids and getting plenty of rest won't hurt anything and may be all that is needed while the body heals itself....See MoreLOOKING for: Chicken soup?
Comments (7)Since I had lessons from Bubbe ( Renee A) I do it this way. Like Ginger...a whole chicken cut up plus about 2 pounds more of wings. Place in a stock pot, add a quart of chicken broth and enough water to cover the chicken by 2 inches. Add 2 slalks celery in half ( I could copy and past ginger here!) Large onion, cut in quarters but unpeeled...there is a flavor in the skins. 2 carrots, washed 1 large or 2 small parsnips A sweet potato, washed and cut in half. A generous handful of fresh parsley...I don't bother to chop. 1 Tsp salt 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, whole 1 tsp of whole pepper corns Bring to a boil, skim the foam, turn the heat down to a bare simmer and simmer for an hour. Remove the breast, legs and thighs of the chicken, remove the skin and refrigerate Continue to cook the rest in the pot at a very slow simmer....very slow for at least another 2 hours, 3 is better. Strain the broth through through a couple of layers of cheese cloth....pressing hard on the solids.....and discard the bones, skin, mushy veggies etc. Chill the broth enough to remove the layer of fat that rises to the top, and return the broth to the soup pot. You should have 2 quarts of broth....if you wish you can add a couple more cups of canned broth at this point. Heat the broth and add about 2 cups sliced celery one large onion chopped ( or 2 small) about 2/4 pound of carrots peeled and cut into buttons, 2 or 3 parsnips peeled and cut in 1/4th length-wise and 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley. taste and add salt as needed ( you will need to add probably a scant teaspoonful) Cut up some of the reserved chicken to add to the soup....all of it if you like a meaty soup and serve with a crusty loaf of bread. I don't put noodles in my chicken soup. Or this is a bit different: Called Gypsy Stew...but I make a few alterations...in parenthesis. Gypsy Stew..Pink Adobe, Santa Fe 1 large frying chicken cut into pieces 3 yellow onions peeled and quartered 8 cloves garlic, peeled and halved ( I chop!) 2 cups dry sherry 1 cup chicken stock ( I use 2 10 oz cans....low fat, low salt, no MSG broth) 12 medium hot chilis like poblano, roasted, peeled and seeded (or use canned)( I use 2 small 6 oz cans of chopped green chilic, drained) 6 large ripe tomatoesÂ(Again I use whole canned plum tomatoes if I don't have garden freshÂ.cut in 4thsÂpull apart using 2 forks and add the juice in the can to the pot) Salt to taste and ½ pound grated jack cheese Put chicken, onions, garlic 1 cup of sherry and the broth in a large heavy kettle ( add more broth to cover if neededÂ..simmer one hourÂ.cool somewhat and remove skin and bonesÂ.I also cool the pan juices somewhat and skim the fat.. Put chicken tomatoes, chilis and rest of the sherry back in the pot and simmer about 45 minutes. To serveÂplace cheese cubes in the bottom of bowl and ladle hot soup over the top. Good made ahead and reheated. Linda C...See MoreWhat kind of stuff do you keep on hand for cold/flu season?
Comments (16)I don't really do OTC meds, never have, and I've never understood why people would use them. If anyone has a fever, it is treated with acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Severe coughing is treated with warm tea with honey and lemon or vitamin C drops, I don't even buy cough drops. I don't carry or use allergy medications of any kind. Rest, warm baths, soft foods and lots of fluids is how basically every illness is treated at my house. One of my kids doctors seems to think it is bizarre that no one in my family has allergies; I can't tell if that is really that rare or if people tend to over-medicate themselves all the time to the point of being convinced they need these treatments. As far as the new job and preventing illness, the number one best thing to do is to wash your hands like people in the medical field do. Wash after using the restroom of course but, the most important is to wash before you touch your face or eat anything. Eyes, nose and mouth are the primary entry points for viruses....See More
Related Stories

HEALTHY HOMEHealthy Home Tips for Cold and Flu Season
Put these 10 home habits into practice now and stand a better chance of avoiding a nasty bug this year
Full Story
WINTER GARDENINGExtend Your Growing Season With a Cold Frame in the Garden
If the sun's shining, it might be time to sow seeds under glass to transplant or harvest
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES10 Cold-Hardy Succulents for Cool-Season Interest
These attractive plants shrug off colder temperatures, and many can be brought inside in containers in extra-chilly climates
Full Story
LIGHTINGBask in Lamplight's Comfort This Season
Get pro insight on lamp styles, shades and ever-confusing bulbs to enjoy the benefits of lamplight on long, cold nights
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESFall Fixes: Get Your Fireplace Cold-Weather Ready
Here's the low-down on what to check before lighting the hearth for the holiday season
Full Story
MORE ROOMSLong, Cold Winter Days—Bring 'em On!
13 Inspiring Ways to Make Good Use of Nesting Season
Full Story
WORLD OF DESIGNWorld of Design: These Gardeners Dig Cold Climates
Passionate gardeners in Maine, Russia and northern Sweden know how to get the most from their short growing seasons and freezing conditions
Full Story
HOLIDAYSSimple Pleasures: Savoring the Season of Warmth and Light
Light up your home and lift your spirits on cold winter days with these decorative touches
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESTop Cold-Hardy Evergreens for Container Gardens
These tough beauties look good year-round and add consistency to container arrangements
Full Story
FALL GARDENINGFrost-Hardy Foliage That Loves a Cold-Climate Garden
When winter cuts a bleak swath through other plants, these edibles and perennials flourish brilliantly
Full Story
marilyn_c