SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

Broadleaf, flowering evergreens for casual hedge?

Our house is built into a hill with a backyard that slopes steeply upward from the house. Near the top of this hill is a cement retaining wall, which used to have a privet hedge just behind it. I ripped out the privet last summer and installed garden beds on this area, which is the only flat, full-sun area on the property.

However, DH misses the hedge! I admit that it was nice to have something evergreen back there, and that while the garden beds are useful, they are not the most attractive things to look at. So, I'd like to plant a new evergreen hedge downhill of the retaining wall, so that it blocks the view of the wall and beds from the house/patio. Here's a photo of the area:

For the new hedge, I want a plant (or plants) that won't require all the trimming that the privet needed. I prefer a more casual look anyway, and trimming is a pain on the slope. I was planning to plant approximately in line with that large rock in the center of the photo, which would put the base of the plants 4-5' below the top edge of the metal beds (and give me a bit of space between hedge and wall for a walkway). Plants that reach a height of 4-6' naturally would be ideal. This area gets more or less full sun after around 11am, though the right side is a bit more shaded due to the neighbor's shrubs.

Would love your suggestions on which broadleaf evergreen(s) might look best. I have considered kalmia (Keepsake is a favorite), rhododendron, azalea, pieris, viburnum, etc., but I am having a very hard time visualizing how a mixture of these would look, or if a simple hedge of just one thing would be a bit more cohesive. The slope is currently planted with vinca as a ground cover, although I have a feeling there might be more weeds than vinca for at least another year or two. Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (27)