SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbsb3233

Seedlings petering out

Tim in Colorado (5b)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

This is the 2nd year I've started by seed for my veggies. Last year my indoor seed starts seemed to grow fine. But this year nearly 80% of my starts (except lettuce for indoor growing) are getting 1/2" to 1" tall and then looking sickly. Some of them are just shriveling up and dying at that point, and others just look like they're struggling to stay alive.

Those are Homestead tomatoes in that picture, but it's happening to other varieties of tomatoes and peppers too. They get their first leaves and then they curl over, turn kinda yellow, and struggle.

The soil is just peat moss mixed with some perlite, that I microwaved first. Last year I bought seed start soil so maybe that's the problem. But I've seen experts say a peat moss + perlite mix should work fine.

I think I did over-water at one point as the soil was pretty soggy for about 36 hours before it got back to normal again. I didn't fertilize those yet because I think I fertilized too soon on some others and killed them, so I held off on fertilizing these until true leave come in (if they ever do). They're getting 16 hours of artificial light and I move them to the window for natural sunlight some days. They don't seem leggy, so I don't think light is the problem.

I do have a fair number of gnats from nearby pots. Saw other tips on dissolving 1/4" of a Mosquito Dunk in the water can and using that to water to control gnats. Don't know if that's the problem. Or if the gnats are. Or the soil, the water, the lighting?? The seeds are leftover from last year but I keep them refrigerated and they germinated OK. It's just all going south after they germinate. Maybe they'll break out of it and grow but right now I'm afraid it's all gonna shrivel up and die.

Any ideas?

Comments (18)