SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scott_braut

Amazing house, honey oak - help?

Scott
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello,

We're moving to a new house that has a great layout, great infrastructure, great location, and many amenities. It's roomy, which is good and bad (great space, but more to update).

Outside of various things being slightly dated in their styling, the chief design complaint is that all of the trim, cabinets, chair rail, finished basement, kitchen island (and more) are all made out of -- or trimmed -- with honey oak. I'd say that our general style is modern country.

We know we can paint (and I've browsed before and afters), but the question is:

1 - Can professionals do a paint job on honey oak that will last? Can you darken the stain without stripping the whole house?

2 - Are there good strategies for updating en masse? We like mission style; refacing with mission accents?

3 - What about mixing the honey oak with painted updates? I.e., honey oak bar counter with dark gray facade? Or leaving the oak but going with a different countertops, etc.?

4 - Who would be the best person to engage with on a project like that outside of a cabinet maker - interior design services?

While we could selectively update the cabinets, we're trying to avoid having an aesthetic preference become a huge expense or gut job; we also don't want to do something superficial that doesn't wear well.

Thoughts or suggestions appreciated!!!!

Comments (6)