SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_346141131

Help?! How to get Honey Oak to match new cabinets??

Kelly Kay
3 years ago

Some of you may have heard about how cold weather caused millions to be without power and water in Texas just 1-2 weeks ago? Well, that was me. No power + no water resulted in a pipe bursting in the outside wall behind my honey oak cabinets. We had to demo the lower cabinets to get to the leak, as well as some other ones due to wet drywall.

This was not how I planned to remodel my kitchen, by starting with a demo and then figuring out what to do. The thing is, only the lower cabinets along the outer wall (and possibly between the fridge and pantry) are ones that were damaged. The kitchen "island" that has the sink and dishwasher was not, and none of the upper cabinets were.

I have a ridiculous amount of cabinets, all honey oak. Plus the very extensive stair railing is honey oak, the built-in bookcases, the fireplace, mantle. You get the point.

I am not a fan of honey oak. I prefer a darker stain that is a mid-tone grey or a brown like espresso (just not quite so dark). But I have read on here that it can be very difficult to get those to match with honey oak as a base.

So how do I make my cabinets all match in one color that is NOT honey oak without replacing them all? I am hoping my insurance will pay for my kitchen to match again (as the wood has aged and even if I got new honey oak cabinets, the stain wouldn't likely be a perfect match with the old ones), so I fully plan to have professionals do it, but I don't know if what I want (a mix of old and new cabinets to match in color) is even possible? It wouldn't be just upper cabinets versus lower cabinets as the island will not be demo'd except for the counter top and sink)? And then the kitchen is 3 feet from the stair case honey oak railing which it will no longer match.

I fall into the "I don't like painting wood because it will chip" camp. I want to know if steps can be taken (like sanding) to get them to match and then have to see if it would end up cheaper (due to labor) to just get everything new or get insurance to pay for the extra steps. (sigh). The doors, trim, and facing is solid wood (the boxes themselves I think are particle board)

I just don't want mud or pink stain to be the result from going over the Honey Oak. I don't mind the wood grain look. I need to know what to ask the insurance adjuster for to "make it match again" and not be telling them something that doesn't actually work.

The first picture is the wall that had the leak, where all of the lower cabinets and built-in oven area are or will be fully removed due to water damage. Yes, it's a mess, because we had to clean up the flooded kitchen and we had to boil water to drink... Sorry.

This is part of the island (there is one more cupboard next to the dishwasher) that was not damaged.

So could I buy new cabinets (to replace the damaged ones) and doors and stain the frames of the cabinets left behind? What process will they need to use to avoid the pink or muddy color you get if you stain Honey Oak?

Once I figure this out, I need to figure out backsplash and what color of quartz to get for new countertops...

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert