SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quiss1

Double diagnosis for my cat, both terminal

Chris Reher, z5b
6 years ago

Hi,

I have a rescue cat, about 14-16 years old. She's been a great companion for the past 12 years with few health issues until kidney issues cropped up a few years ago.

Last week she stopped eating and so we went to the vet for tests, which were due anyway. Her kidneys looked good, but now she has diabetes (she is overweight) and mammary cancer.

Untreated, she'll have about another year. Because of her age and the diabetes/kidney issues, surgery is not an option right now.

It's not clear if her current lack of appetite is due to either of these conditions because she also has feline herpes which have flared up. She seems sluggish and depressed but I don't think she's in pain.

So, this is a whole lot to take in. I'm utterly unable to figure out a course of action. I am very worried about treating her diabetes with injections and blood tests myself. The vet gave me an appetite stimulant but after clawing my arm open, Miss Nellie spit the pill out and peed on the floor in one of the bedrooms. She has NEVER gone outside her litter box before. Given this behavior, I can't see myself sticking a needle, no matter how fine, into her twice a day.

Given her age, I wonder if it's time to just let her go naturally, treating neither the cancer nor the diabetes with anything but diet and pain meds if necessary. But am I doing this for me, or for her? If she can get another year or so WITH treatment, should I not give that a try?

I don't want her to suffer but I don't know if I have the capacity to care for a very ill cat when the time comes. She's alone all day and so palliative care is difficult. The thought of this makes me feel guilty like heck, so maybe I'm looking for absolution.

I've been reading a lot about these conditions and now have analysis paralysis. I could use some words of advice to sort emotion from logic.

Comments (14)